Buy 15" 2.66GHz refurb MBP or wait?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoFoT9, Oct 7, 2009.

  1. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #1
    Hey everybody,

    I am stuck and I cannot make my mind up!

    Should I purchase a 2.66GHz 15" MBP, 320gb, 4GB RAM now, or wait for the newer MBP!? the refurb is $1700Aus off (educational store). it is a GREAT price!

    I am having trouble because I know that quad core laptops are coming out rather soon (if apple decides to do it), as are the new GTX/GTX/GT 2*0M GPUs (the newest graphics cards). and before you ask, yes i feel that i will use the quad core, i use VMs, i do photo shopping (not multicore), i edit quite a bit of video, i watch HD movies (not very intense i know), i multi-task with 4 spaces/60+tabs (more of a RAM thing here), plus many other things.

    i am just really stumped about the GHz of the quad core. i would probably only be able to afford the middle range MBP, (maybe 1.7GHz quad-core).

    actually, will apple even implement a quad core!? probably not. what about dual core updates, what/when can i expect them?

    anyway. what does everybody else think?

    thanks to all in advance

    DoFoT9
     
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #2
    I think you have been here long enough to know that no one really knows when or if something will come out. If you need it now get it, if you can wait through October then I say wait.
     
  3. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #3
    thankyou for the rather upfront message LOL.

    i know that i have been here for ages. i guess i just have to sort out what i want, cheapness or powerness.

    i guess im afraid, the first laptop i purchased was my CD MBP. i waited 6 months for a new model, but i finally purchased it. FIVE days after i purchased it the new C2Ds came out, i was devastated! so i guess im just trying to get some feedback when the machines can be expected. sometimes the rumors are right ;)

    thanks anyway
     
  4. firewater macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #4
    Just get your refurbished Mac and stop trippin, you will pay less and enjoy using the extra cash for somthing else.:)
     
  5. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #5
    thats the thing but in order to get the extra money i have to use the money i earn over the christmas break to pay for it (uni student here). that money could go towards textbooks or fuel to get to uni ($1000 would cover the year of petrol), it might service the car once or twice. pay for tyres.

    but then there is the other side, if i put an extra 1k or 2k then the laptop might last an extra two years because of the extra power - it will last longer. it might also save me building a hackintosh as a desktop ;)
     
  6. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #6
    i have decided to wait. i sure hope that the new updates have a new GPU/new CPU of some sort otherwise i will be dissapointed!
     
  7. Gen macrumors 6502a

    Gen

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    #7
    Then you'll wait a while.

    Think about it; wait 4-5 months for something that MIGHT be released? Or get a great product RIGHT NOW, and enjoy it - current MBP's are great machines, no doubt.
     
  8. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #8
    new machines are normally introduced either before christmas, or feb/march after christmas. these are normally pretty significant. i can wait until then i feel.

    the last laptop i purchased was after waiting for 6 months was complete impulse, the new MBPs came out 5 DAYS after. i was so angry. so this time i will wait.

    i feel that i will really utilise the newer technologies (if they are implemented). the new GPUs look really good, i hope apple uses them.
     
  9. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #9
    If you can wait, then wait. If you need one now get one now.

    Projections are that apple will have an arrandale/clarksfield laptop next year some time. I think people are hoping it will be early next year, and some folks are even hoping to see it this year.

    Who knows, it all depends on when intel can start producing the chipsets in quantities for apple and others AND how long apple takes to redesign the MBP to handle the new chipset, power requirements and possible heat increase.
     
  10. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #10
    Arrandale is the 32nm model? i think that is a significant enough upgrade for me to wait.

    i dont think it will be this year but probably next year, hopefully early in the year. i have put up with it for 3 years im sure another year wont hurt - it most certainly wont hurt the bank lol! (might hurt the frustration but)

    apple sucks up :p they will have precedence over other manufacturers.

    thanks for your input
     

Share This Page