Buy 15" Macbook Pro or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snoopjonny, Apr 3, 2006.

  1. snoopjonny macrumors newbie

    Apr 3, 2006

    I currently have a 17" Powerbook G4 and it's SO ready for an upgrade. Here's my dilemma... I would really like a 17" Macbook Pro and I'm part of the Apple Developer Connection, so I get something like 20% off of one hardware purchase per year. My discount runs out on May 12th. If a 17" Macbook Pro isn't announced before May 12th, I would prefer to have purchased a 15" Macbook Pro NOW and get the most time out of my new computer. If a 17" Macbook Pro is going to be announced on say May 11th, I'd rather wait until then to get the discount on that.

    What do you think? Is there any chance a 17" Macbook Pro is going to be announced before May 12th?

    This decision is making me nutty. I let a discount lapse last year because there was nothing worth buying at the time.

  2. nylon macrumors 65816


    Oct 26, 2004
    I'm desperate but waiting till the kinks are worked out and a DL optical drive is included.
  3. cairo macrumors regular

    May 6, 2005
    Only you can make that decision :p

    What makes the most senses for you...
  4. snoopjonny thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 3, 2006
    Cairo, the question I'm asking is whether people think a 17" macbook pro would be announced before May 12th.

    I realize the ultimate decision is mine, and I know one way to ensure that a 17" mbp does get announced... and that would be to buy a 15" MBP.
  5. chris y. macrumors regular

    Feb 27, 2006
    los angeles, ca
    I got a chance to try out the MBP at my school apple store and i think its a really great computer. The display is bright and webpages and text show up wonderfully, the keyboard also felt a bit different (in a good way) from my PB, I wanted to pick one up on the spot.

    But there was issues with the one on display it had the buzzing noise problem and the flickering display at the lowest brightness setting. Being able to observe these in person made me want to postpone my purchase since my PB is still sufficient.

    I guess if its possible you should go try em out at your apple store and see if these issues bother you if they dont I think the MBP would be a great purchase since you can easily resell it when the 17in version comes out.
  6. twoodcc macrumors P6


    Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    i honestly don't think they'll release a 17" macbook pro by then, but nobody knows...
  7. chaos86 macrumors 65816


    Sep 11, 2003
    wait! at least for the issues on the 15" ones to be fixed.

    apparently they just started shipping ones with most of the issues fixed.

    digg story on the matter
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I would wait until right before you must either buy or lose your discount. Hopefully Apple will release new MacBook Pro 12"/15"/ & 17" Models by then.
  9. gunm macrumors member

    Jan 23, 2006
    There's really no way to know for sure until they actually release it.

    I dunno, the answer seems pretty obvious to me: wait until the very last minute, and then order a 15" if the 17" still isn't announced or available before the discount expires.

Share This Page