Buy 15' Macbook Pro or Wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by leemkule, Aug 6, 2009.

1. leemkule macrumors newbie

Please forgive me, as I'm sure this type of thing is asked repeatedly, but I'd like to ask your advice. I own about an 17-18 month old Macbook pro, which regrettably has had a bit of a hard life (moved about a lot/dropped, generally not looked after) which has left it a bit worse for ware.

I'm now considering upgrading to the Unibody 15' Macbook pro. However, I can't decide if I should buy one now whilst the Ipod touch/rebate offer is valid (I'm a university student) or wait for the Nahalem processors?

I'm a medical student and my days of gaming are over, so I don't really do any demanding things on my laptop. Mainly browsing, essays and watching movies and so forth.

I'm trying to weigh up the reduction in price (I would probably sell the touch) against the performance upgrade that will be available with the new processors.

Also, I opted for the matte screen on my old macbook pro, and ex-matte users that like the current glossy screen?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

2. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    If you can wait, it's always better to. But in this case, you'll have to wait a lot, I don't think Apple will update their notebook line anytime soon, so...

Or, if you want matte screen, you can wait until the new models come out, and, if they don't have this option, you can buy a refurb 17" MBP with the matte screen option for less than it is right now.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If your current does its job, wait. Update is likely before the end of the year

4. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Nehalem will be a very significant factor, as it will be more future-proofed than any MacBook Pro you can buy today. Therefore, wait.

5. leemkule thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, didn't take much convincing but I agree it's probably better to wait since the CPU upgrade will be so significant. I'll start putting the cash aside for it. Thanks :)

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

The earliest time the Macbooks can be updated is in February-June 2010. But I think the iMacs and Mac Minis will be updated first.

7. leemkule thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you know this?:) Quite a long wait...

8. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Arrandale is planned to launch next year around that time frame.

9. leemkule thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure what that is, could you elaborate?

10. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Arrandale is the next line of mobile processors by Intel.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You'll be waiting a few decades. I don't know if there are any 15 foot computers out there...

Well, Clarksfield is, but that's highly doubtful.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think he is basing this on how Apple just released updated laptops within the past month or so. So it is very doubtful that there would be any updates to MB or MBP lineups until after the new year.

13. leemkule thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, I see.

Really not sure what to do. I could wait till early 2010 but I doubt I'd want to wait much longer. It's a lot of money to drop into a laptop and then regret it though. :S

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So just buy when you have to have one and don't regret anything. Simple.

15. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

Buy now- THere seems no credible reason that they will upgrade again so soon at the moment until sometime next year. Just buy the fastest processor you can and I'm sure you will love it and not really care what comes out in 6-8 months. You can always sell it and upgrade too.

16. hypertc13 macrumors regular

I highly doubt they notebook line will be updated before the end of the year. They were just updated mid june. the notebook line is generally updated every 7-9 months. I would say earliest they get updated would be in january but more likely in february. There is probably a 1% chance of them updating any sooner than that

17. hypertc13 macrumors regular

I don't think they will put the nehalems in the macbook pro's right away when they come out. I believe they run a little too hot and will wear on there battery life too much. Arrandale is the more likely choice for the next update. I could see nehalem going in just the 17"

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MacBooks have been updated two times per year (excluding 2005). MacBook(s) yes but don't know about MBP

Arrandale is Nehalem... Nehalem is micro architecture

By the way, Arrandale and Clarkdale clocks are out. Arrandale top out at 2.66GHz (3.33GHz with turbo)

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Max the ram and update to a 7200 rpm hard drive if you haven't already to extend that new car smell on your mbp a bit.

20. leemkule thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you to everyone who replied. However, I went to my local Apple store and I have decided I will wait. I hope they start selling the matte option screen again instead of the current glossy screens. I can't understand how anyone can use them, I'd get so completely distracted by the constant reflections. If I wanted to stare at myself I'd buy a mirror, a lot cheaper. haha. :p

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, a lot of people want that, however, it might be a long wait.