Buy 15'' MBP now or wait for next generation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pavel68, Oct 9, 2009.

1. pavel68 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need to buy a Notebook this year or the money from the account will be lost.
    Thus, my question is how likely it is that Apple will launch a new MBP family this year?
    When do you expect USB3 and Bluray to come on Macs?
    Is it worth waiting for the next generation of Intel mobile processors?
    With other words, should I buy the present 15'' MBP or wait until the end of the year?

Thank you!

Paval

2. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Personally, I don't think we'll see a new MBP until early next year.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Most posters are saying no new MBP until Q2 2010 with Arrandale. It's partly a question of what chips Intel will have available. USB3 possible, Blu-ray unlikely. There are a number of threads on the next MBP, a search via mroogle will find quite a few.

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

i would wait a few weeks, or even a month. They may bump up specs in the MBP/MB, as new iMacs are expected (rumored), but other than that, i wouldn't expect new ones until June.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Maybe I'm just too cynical tonight, but I'm thinking hell and freezing over. ;)

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

i would expect USB3 to introduced sometime next year, as we are just starting to get the first products supporting usb 3.0. Blu-Ray, well, who knows. Licensing is still expensive, as far as i know. So I wouldn't hold your breathe,...

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

USB3.0? You're joking right? You really expect APPLE to include that within 3 months? Man that's a dream.

Even in any computer, that really is just a waste of money, there aren't many, if any 3.0 products even available to consumers now, so it's just a basic waste.

Blu-Ray? Highly doubt it, it's going to be in the desktop range firstly, and as it isn't even in there yet, nothing to worry about. And Steve Jobs still hates it, so IMO, I wouldn't be expecting it too soon.

I own the 2.66Ghz 15" model, and it really is incredible. They've only recently been updated, as everyone always posts these questions on the MBP if you just had a look in MRoogle.

Just buy it now mate, you won't regret it :)

8. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

just get it now... the new mbp wont be out for a long time and tbh the ones out atm are pretty new and amazing [​IMG]

9. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Just get it now. I have a 15" MBP mid-2009 2.66ghz for college. Its way good enough for me. 320gb HD+1tb external notebook HD is PLENTY. You can potentially store all your movies in that external HD (also keep it another backup HD at home like a desktop external HD). Graphics? The only graphical app I plan to use is probably Starcraft 2 whenever the hell that comes out. These MBP are fast, reliable, and sturdy. I've gotten many compliments also on the design in my classes: "Hey is that the new MBP? I was going to get one but I bought the cheaper macbook, I should've gotten the 13" MBP at least. Dam that's nice". I've got the comments of "its so nice!" from many chicks around campus as well. It's functional, fast, and outright sexy. For some reason, some girls told me that it shows a little bit of status? haha

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

If you can wait, wait. It doesn't sound like the money will be there later, so just buy it soon. It's not really an option, is it? I guess if you're in no rush, wait until Dec 31st and buy before the money magically disappears. ;)

11. maccrazyy macrumors newbie

Hi m8 but if you keep holding back and then when go and get one Apple will update it again so it'll be the same process. I've just ordered mine yesterday and I don't care if they update next January because it will still be a great MBP!!

12. iphonefan67 macrumors newbie

Enjoying my brand new 15" matte 2.8 as I type. Quick and snappy. Glad I didn't wait.

13. HBOC macrumors 68020

I actually bought mine the day they released the UMB. 2.5GHZ is still quick, even after a year! I liked the design of the previous MBP and the discount even better:)

14. opera57 macrumors 6502

If you want one and need one now, buy one now. If you don't need it now and can wait (and are prepared to wait until possibly next year) then wait! [​IMG]

15. thebrain74 macrumors regular

They may not even add USB 3.0 to the Macs. No one is adding it (yet), and I bet it will take another 6mos, before you actually start seeing it semi-regularly. If you tack on a few extras months, then that is the possible timing for the introduction of Light Peak. So the macs could be behind the times for ~3-6 months (nothing new in the mac world) and then it could be like, OH **** LOOK WHAT WE DID! NO ONE ELSE IN THE INDUSTRY IS DOING THIS! WE HAVE ***** LIGHT PEAK IN OUR LAPTOPS. ITS WAY MOAR BETTERER THAN USB3. All of your plugs 'just work' (with adaptors)

sorry if that sounded bitter, my MBP's been having problems