Buy 15" rMBP now or wait until July?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarakn, Feb 15, 2013.

  1. sarakn, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

    sarakn macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #1
    Hi All,
    I've always used a PC and ready to step into the mac world. All the systems I've had have been Dells and I currently have a Dell studio XPS desktop and my XPS 16 laptop is about 3 years old. The laptop is not terrible, but it could be quite slow at times and it's starting to look its age. The metal banding on the frame came loose and I need a butterfly clip to hold it in place. :) This laptop has an intel core 2 duo proc @ 2.8 and 8gb ram and runs windows 7 ultimate.

    While I don't play a lot of games, I'm an IT consultant and use resource heavy applications. I also travel weekly and I need something lighter because this beast I currently own is killing my shoulder.

    Initially, I read so much about the haswell processor and thought to wait until June/July to purchase, but then is that really wise? What does this new processor even offer that would be worth waiting for?


    I was thinking of the 15" rMBP with 16gb RAM, 768 gb storage and 2.8 i7 quad core. I could get the 2.7 which is about $200 less, but at this point with the price being $3200, does that $200 really matter? :rolleyes:
    Since I need windows for most clients, I would have to use bootcamp, VMware, or parallels (not sure what's better).

    I also need to extra room for movies and such and since I won't have a chance to upgrade, might as well max it out and cry later.

    What do you guys suggest - buy now or wait?
     
  2. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #2
    It looks like weight will not be a bonus as I just weighed my laptop and it's weighs the same as the mbp - 6.5lbs. oh well.
     
  3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

    Arnezie

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2011
    #3
    If you have the cash now buy one. If you don't have cash then save up enoufgh to buy it in June
     
  4. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #4
    I have the cash now, but wondering if feature-wise, I should buy now or wait.
     
  5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

    Arnezie

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2011
    #5
    As with most apple products I don't think the next model is going to be mind blowing , some improvements but it isn't going to throw the earth off its axis. I just got mine in December and let me tell you with 16gb of ram this thing will be great for many years, FAST:cool:
     
  6. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #6
    Thanks :)

    Do you think it's worth getting the 2.8GHz Quad-core proc over the 2.7? It's about $200 more. If the difference is noticeable, I might as well get it and future proof my machine.
     
  7. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

    SilentLoner

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    #7
    Is the 2.7 not quad core?
     
  8. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #8
    It is... I'm just trying to see if I can get the most of out the device - memory and storage would be maxed out, just wondering about processor.
     
  9. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #9
    Here's the thing. The Haswell may or may not be groundbreaking, although I THINK the 50% bump in the GPU will help with the retina performance, but the reason I'm waiting, Haswell or not, is I just won't buy a first generation technology device that is $2,600. And first generation Apple products are notorious, although I think the same is true with the others. Wait buddy, it'll be worth the wait with some bugs worked out, Haswell, the new Wifi technology and perhaps a small drop in the price.
     
  10. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

    CBJammin103

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    Location:
    Louisiana, United States
    #10
    I know that most people in the "wait for Haswell" camp don't want to hear this, but I have a strong feeling it won't be June or July but more like September or October.

    The spec bump this month strengthens that intuition.
     
  11. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

    iAppl3Fan

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    #11
    Get one now. Haswell won't have that wow factor that this generation already have.
     
  12. Essenar macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    #12
    This.

    Don't expect Haswell MacBooks until later this year. Quarter 3 at the earliest, most likely 4.
     
  13. divinny macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2013
    #13
    Well I would recommend you to buy the latest apple products, so wait till july.

    I disappointed that my macbook pro 15" 2009 is now very laggy.... (aging very fast) It was an awesome machine back then.
     
  14. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2011
    #14
    You most probably need more RAM is all
     
  15. Ploki macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #15
    rMBP is 4.5lbs.
     
  16. Veradun macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2013
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #16
    I doubt the Haswell refresh for the MacBook Pro line will come in July. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, though.

    To the OP: The latest, right now, is the early 2013 refresh. If you need the computer now, get it. Further down the track, when Haswell is introduced to the MBP line, your early 2013 rMBP will still be one hell of a computer. Technology moves fast and innovation is never cutting edge for long, but it should cater adequately to your needs for years to come. But if you can afford to wait, and it feels right to you, then wait. What, though, do you feel you need from the next update that the current generation does not have?

    For your specs - you could skimp on the processor and go for the base 2.4GHz, with 16GB RAM (you'll need it for the uses you described) and a 512GB SSD. Sure a few hundred dollars relative to the price paid for the laptop is pocket change, but if you look at it by itself, it's $200+ that you could be spending on decent external storage and other accessories. I personally wouldn't store my movie library on my laptop, but to each their own :D

    Whichever configuration you go for, you're not going to regret it. The 15" Retina MBP is in a league of its own.
     
  17. BJNY macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2002
    Location:
    New York City
    #17
    Other distinction is previous 2.7GHz has 8MB cache.
     
  18. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #18
    I'd say if you can wait then you may be better served but if you are in more of a immediate need then by all means get one now and enjoy it for the 4+ months :)
     
  19. Bambooisland macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #19
    There is always a new model around the corner. My advice buy it use it and replace it if you have the feeling it is time to buy a new one. Just what i am doing.
     
  20. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #20
    I really don't really need one right now - I have a laptop that still works, and the major problem is cosmetic: the piece of metal that surrounds the laptop came loose and I have to use a butterfly clip to keep it down. LOL
    I'm not going to pay even $75 to get it fixed.

    I really need to take it one day at a time and try to avoid an impulse buy.

    I think it'll totally suck if I hold off for a few months, laptop finally gets damaged or something, I buy the mac and the new one comes out a couple months later. just my luck, right?
     
  21. johnnnw macrumors 65816

    johnnnw

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    #21
    I'd buy it now, knowing Apple it will just be a small upgrade anyway. Not worth the wait.
     
  22. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #22
    You're right. I don't want to hear that. But I am committed. And that .1bump with no price drop just steeled my resolve. Besides, you could be wrong. They may have just given it a Nothing Spec bump because they want to get as many as they can out the door, as the new ones are coming

    ----------

    Fine. I give up. Get the half baked 1st generation now. You probably don't need a GPU that is more geared to handle the power hungry retina display anyways
     
  23. maxosx macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
    Location:
    Southern California
    #23
    Waiting for a second generation model is a very smart idea. Forget the specs, it's all the little mistakes they correct and improvements that Apple makes the second time around that are priceless.
     
  24. Freyqq macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2004
    #24
    This. That's the only reason i'm personally waiting. The specs on the current revision are fine. But, every rev A thing apple makes usually has some glaring issue that is fixed in rev B. This time, it's probably the glued in battery or the image retention issues that'll get ironed out in the next version.
     
  25. KPOM macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #25
    :confused: The 15" rMBP weighs 4.5 lbs. The 13" weighs 3.6 lbs.

    That said, to your original question, it might not be a bad idea to wait. Haswell will bring a significant improvement to battery life. It will also improve graphics performance (particularly if you are looking at the 13", which uses the Intel integrated graphics only).

    ----------

    Given that the form factor is 7 months old, you are right that they won't be making radical changes. That said, Haswell itself is a pretty big deal. To use a car analogy, the 2012/early 2013 is like a car with a 200hp gas engine that gets 25mpg. If you know an otherwise identical car with 220hp that gets 40mpg is just 6 months away and will be the same price, or less, would you wait?

    ----------

    The mobile Haswell chips are due out in June, which implies a July release date for the next MacBook Pro line. That's exactly what happened in 2011 when the Sandy Bridge chips came out.
     

Share This Page