• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

sephirothxt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
I want a new computer strictly for internet browsing, watching videos/Youtube, word documents, etc. I'm not really much into gaming. I don't really care about graphics cards as long as it is able to play 4K videos without any issues.

Should I get the 16" MBP now, or is there something on the horizon soon that is absolutely worth waiting for? I saw that the 16" debuted in Nov 2019, and the graphics card was updated in June 2020. Does the graphics card update mean that it's all set for the next year, or will there be a new holistic update at the end of this year?

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
If you can, I would wait for the arm 16” that is going to come out most likely next year. Why do you want the 16” if your tasks are simple? Is it just the screen size that you are looking for? Would a 13” be out of the question? Most likely a 13” arm macbook of some kind will be out in a few months and would handle all your needs assuming screen size is not an issue

Comment

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
What do you have now? And if those are your only uses, the 16-inch MBP is probably overkill (unless you're dying for the bigger screen).

Comment

jiholl

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2003
Perhaps an option would be a 12.9 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard....? That can do all you mention and it will not become "obsolete" in terms of the switch to ARM by Apple. I'm considering the same. I have a 2013 15 pro that is working fine...but thinking instead of a new 16, maybe the ipad/keyboard combo now and the keep that and get a new macbook ARM at some point. So then I would have an ipad and a macbook...which is not an unusual or extravagant combo.

Comment

akuraktz

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2020
If you can, I would wait for the arm 16” that is going to come out most likely next year. Why do you want the 16” if your tasks are simple? Is it just the screen size that you are looking for? Would a 13” be out of the question? Most likely a 13” arm macbook of some kind will be out in a few months and would handle all your needs assuming screen size is not an issue
That's exactly what I'm doing.

Comment

Mike__

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2020
I’ve just ordered one myself.
In my opinion new hardware will always be round the corner and it will be some time until all the kinks are ironed out.

Although I love being an early adopter I want my laptop to perform and would rather enjoy my 16” MacBook Pro now.

I very much doubt we will see a new 16” pro before the end of year considering it’s just had a slight refresh. Also the design is unlikely to change.

Life’s to short to worry what’s around the corner, go for it now and enjoy 😊

Comment

sephirothxt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
Thanks all! I currently have a tiny Surface Pro tablet. And yes, I'm essentially mostly interested in the large screen given how much time I spend on the computer. I honestly don't know enough about the ARM, and whether it's truly worth it over what's already in most machines, given that I just do very simple things such as web browsing and watching Youtube videos.

Comment

poematik13

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2014
If you just want a large screen get the bottom-tier 16" that's usually $2100 on amazon/BH/etc.

Playing the waiting game is for suckers, get what you need now and if something else truly outclasses it (not happening), then just sell it and buy the new one.

Comment

tdbrown75

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
The is me, light user but oh that screen! I went for it, purchased the day before the ARM announcement. I'm still within my return window, and there's no way this thing thing is going back. If the new 16" comes out and it's absolutely killer or there are new features I can't live without, I'll upgrade. In the meantime, I'm one happy camper and not worried about what I can't possibly know.

Tim

Last edited:
Comment

robdrj45

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
USA
Considering the light usage you described (similar to mine), the base 2019 16'' pro has more than enough capability. It's terrific for web browsing or watching videos. The screen is beautiful and the speakers are fantastic. Plus, it's been available at a discounted price. I upgraded from a 2012 Air and the difference is amazing.

Comment

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
All I do is web browsing and watch media etc and I got the 16" base model. 2 reasons why. They have better quality control than the 13" Air & Pro from my experience (screen wise) & I like the large screen. I spend at least 10 hours a day on the computer so it was worth it.

I could care less about an arm processor. Could end up being worse ..

Comment

LinkRS

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
All I do is web browsing and watch media etc and I got the 16" base model. 2 reasons why. They have better quality control than the 13" Air & Pro from my experience (screen wise) & I like the large screen. I spend at least 10 hours a day on the computer so it was worth it.

I could care less about an arm processor. Could end up being worse ..

Howdy Brighton Billy,

You can expect a new MacBook Pro, 16" or 13" purchased today, to work just fine and be supported for at least the next 3 years (the term of AppleCare). Just because a new architecture is out does not mean that suddenly every model with the old is completely useless and "obsolete." Apple stated at the WWDC that they expect support Intel based Macs for "years." So unless you are sensitive to products being replaced within 3 to 12 months after you purchase, a 16" MacBook Pro would serve you well, actually overkill for your workload. It is possible that Apple will release a "new" 16" MacBook Pro between Oct and June of next year, nobody outside of Apple knows for sure. It seems that most folks that follow Apple releases, seem to think we won't see another update to the 16" until next year, due to the GPU upgrade you mentioned. Apple has only said that they will be releasing the first Apple Silicon based Mac this year, but did not indicate what it would be. Some leaks seem to think the first release will be a MacBook Pro, in order to dazzle folks out the gate. However, you could always play a waiting game, because something better will always come out. If you want/need to purchase now, then go for it!

Rich S.

Comment

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
Howdy Brighton Billy,

You can expect a new MacBook Pro, 16" or 13" purchased today, to work just fine and be supported for at least the next 3 years (the term of AppleCare). Just because a new architecture is out does not mean that suddenly every model with the old is completely useless and "obsolete." Apple stated at the WWDC that they expect support Intel based Macs for "years." So unless you are sensitive to products being replaced within 3 to 12 months after you purchase, a 16" MacBook Pro would serve you well, actually overkill for your workload. It is possible that Apple will release a "new" 16" MacBook Pro between Oct and June of next year, nobody outside of Apple knows for sure. It seems that most folks that follow Apple releases, seem to think we won't see another update to the 16" until next year, due to the GPU upgrade you mentioned. Apple has only said that they will be releasing the first Apple Silicon based Mac this year, but did not indicate what it would be. Some leaks seem to think the first release will be a MacBook Pro, in order to dazzle folks out the gate. However, you could always play a waiting game, because something better will always come out. If you want/need to purchase now, then go for it!

Rich S.

Hey Rich, ya good points. And me having a 16" is over kill for what I use it for lol you're right but the large screen is worth it. I was waiting for the rumoured 14.1" to be released but they ended up just releasing another 13.3". I also remember hearing that since Apple just updated the 16 (from the 15.4) that they will probably be sticking with this form factor for a few more years so now is a good time to buy.

At the end of the day even though I don't need the extra power right now it's nice to know that if I ever do need it I will have it.

Now what Ive been thinking about is Apple care. Gotta read more into it though.

Reactions: LinkRS
Comment

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
wish all the new 16" MBP owners luck as a lot of us have been having issues with the kernel panics and restarts.

Comment

LinkRS

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
Hey Rich, ya good points. And me having a 16" is over kill for what I use it for lol you're right but the large screen is worth it. I was waiting for the rumoured 14.1" to be released but they ended up just releasing another 13.3". I also remember hearing that since Apple just updated the 16 (from the 15.4) that they will probably be sticking with this form factor for a few more years so now is a good time to buy.

At the end of the day even though I don't need the extra power right now it's nice to know that if I ever do need it I will have it.

Now what Ive been thinking about is Apple care. Gotta read more into it though.

Hi Brighton Billy,

I would strongly encourage you to consider Apple Care with any big Apple purchase. Yes, it is expensive but so is your MacBook Pro LOL. With the thin form-factor, high performance components, and the history of weird issues that could be attributed to heat (with older MacBook Pros, nothing on the 16" yet :) ), I feel it is good insurance for your purchase. Do remember that you can add it your MacBook Pro after your purchase, you don't necessarily have to do it at the same time. I believe you can add it up to 2 months after your purchase. Good luck!

Rich S.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.