Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
I sold the 2018 to upgrade but I'm wondering if I should buy a 16" now, or if there is something spectacular coming no more than 4 months away.

Yes I DO need the 16" MBP soon, and it does have to be the 16".

Thanks

UnBip

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
I don't think anything spectacular is going to come this year, and the 16" is now on the refurb.
So, you can sweeten things by saving few hundred dollars now and feel better when a minor upgrade shows up in few months

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
I don't think anything spectacular is going to come this year, and the 16" is now on the refurb.
So, you can sweeten things by saving few hundred dollars now and feel better when a minor upgrade shows up in few months

Yea I'm eying the specked out 16" in the refurb. 4TB with 64RAM for 4100. Can't wait.

Reactions: 0128672

nnavas13

macrumors member
May 25, 2020
Spain
Is it reliable to buy it refurbished? I plan to keep it for many years and it is no joke to spend nearly 3000€ on that

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
There is certainly nothing spectacular coming out this year, but I'd at least wait until WWDC for potential updates. Comet Lake is already out and I expect it to find it's way into the MBP within the next few months. It won't be much of a change, just few odd % here and there, but still...

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
Is it reliable to buy it refurbished? I plan to keep it for many years and it is no joke to spend nearly 3000€ on that

There was actually a study done that stated that refurbished goods had a lower failure rate than brand new goods.

Other than that, it comes with the same warranty and opportunity to extend it. I've had 3 refurbished macbooks in the last 5 years, and it was the 2 macbook that I bought new, that were faulty.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Well, I did. I wanted a 16 inch MacBook Pro later this year. I am coming from a 15 inch MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz basic specs with 256GB. Quite a small space when you are running Xcode.

But I got impatient and wanted one NOW. So I sold my 15 inch and ordered a 16 inch 1TB SSD, 2.3 GHz i9. This MacBook is a workhorse! And I even got 200 euro’s off. I bought it at the Dutch Amazon site.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
My 2014 13" is a refurb, and still going strong without a single issue. I will never buy RRP again. Bought my 16" 2.3/64GB/2TB/8GB VRAM refurb for a £730 saving over here!

Last edited:
Reactions: LFC2020

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I sold the 2018 to upgrade but I'm wondering if I should buy a 16" now, or if there is something spectacular coming no more than 4 months away.

Yes I DO need the 16" MBP soon, and it does have to be the 16".

Thanks

If 4 months is your absolute cut off for waiting for something spectacular, i would say you're pretty safe to buy now. The current rumor/speculation is that the big spectacular redesign of the 16" MBP with a Mini-LED screen and possibly an ARM chip isn't releasing till early 2021. There was a bit of speculation for a bit that they were coming end of 2020, but that was pre-pandemic and all the usual leaker sources are now pointing to early 2021 for the big one. If anything drops in end of 2020, it'd likely just be a minor spec bump with Wifi 6 and the 10th gen Intel chip (and that's basically the same chip in the 2019 16" MBP just with slightly higher clock speed). Even with that, it likely will release in November which is past your 4 month cut off.

Reactions: vemac575 and Kalae

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But the new 13" MBP has LPDDR4x
My take is that modern CPUs are so fast that for the majority of users really won't care if its 4 cores, 6 cores or 8. While pokey (and only used by my daughter), my 2012 rMBP is capable of running much of the software without too much issue. If an 8 year old computer is still relevant, I'd say the debate of performance between the 13" and 16" is not as important as many people make it out to be.

llllllllll

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2020
There was actually a study done that stated that refurbished goods had a lower failure rate than brand new goods.

Other than that, it comes with the same warranty and opportunity to extend it. I've had 3 refurbished macbooks in the last 5 years, and it was the 2 macbook that I bought new, that were faulty.

..ha!

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
My take is that modern CPUs are so fast that for the majority of users really won't care if its 4 cores, 6 cores or 8. While pokey (and only used by my daughter), my 2012 rMBP is capable of running much of the software without too much issue. If an 8 year old computer is still relevant, I'd say the debate of performance between the 13" and 16" is not as important as many people make it out to be.

I agree, but I compose and produce music, so I notice big differences in small power increases.

Joeymvd

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2020
In the same position! If people feel like it's going to be a few months until a MBP 16" update (of any sort, even minor spec update), I'm tempted to buy one now. There's discount on Amazon; it'll be the UK store, I'm not sure the discount is as good as the US, but it's still fairly reasonable.

I've only ever bought from Apple direct. Just wondering about any faults or issues and how you go about returning a Mac if there are problems in a year or so. In the UK, we have Consumer Rights law which is quite good protection for about 5 years. Would it be harder to use that with Amazon online? Anyone have an experience with this? Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.