Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atoria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I am planning to purchase a 17" Macbook Pro for travel, developing, games, etc. Here is the current situation:

I can buy now with a student discount ($200 off) and get the iPod Touch (~$200 on eBay) and a printer for free. It's basically like $400 off the list price if I sell the iPod Touch and by far the best deal I have seen on apple in the past 2 years.

The only thing is that the special scares me a little and makes me think that after I purchase it they will release a new video card or upgraded processor. Is there any official/unofficial news of upgrades coming to the Macbook Pro in late 2009? I know Snow Leopard comes pre-installed on all machines after September 2009, but that's it.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
you've identified the issues.

I just bought a 17" MBP and got the discount and free touch. Yes there will likely be faster machines with snow leopard, but personally I don't think nahalem notebooks will be out till next year and even if they are out, I think given the pricing seen with MP and that architecture that they will have limited benefit without spending a LOT more money.

A bigger issue to me was the fact that the next ipod touch may have upgrade features including a camera, etc, and obviously more memory. But free is free, so I pulled the trigger.

bli625

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2009
I am planning to purchase a 17" Macbook Pro for travel, developing, games, etc. Here is the current situation:

I can buy now with a student discount ($200 off) and get the iPod Touch (~$200 on eBay) and a printer for free. It's basically like $400 off the list price if I sell the iPod Touch and by far the best deal I have seen on apple in the past 2 years.

The only thing is that the special scares me a little and makes me think that after I purchase it they will release a new video card or upgraded processor. Is there any official/unofficial news of upgrades coming to the Macbook Pro in late 2009? I know Snow Leopard comes pre-installed on all machines after September 2009, but that's it.

If you want a true gaming machine, don't get a MacBook Pro. But for traveling and developing, the 17 MacBook Pro is more than enough, and the deal you posted about sounds like a really good deal. Technology is going to be better and faster everyday. I'm sure if you wait until the next processor bump, you'll be asking yourself the same question.. "should I wait until the next one?" If you need it now, just purchase it now. You'll also be eligible for the Up to date program to upgrade to Snow Leopard when it comes out.

AMessy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
They have done the "back to school" special where they include iPods with student purchases the last few years. It is most likely a way to clear out old iPod Touch stock ahead of an update rather then to clear out stock on MBP's which were just updated.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Buy. The current 17" MPB is an astonishingly good machine - I've only had mine about a week and I'm seriously taken aback at how much better it is than the 2007 version I had.

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
NYC
Product: MacBook Pro
Recommendation: Buy - Product recently updated
Last Release: June 08, 2009
Days Since Update: 56 (Avg = 200)

The 17" MacBook Pro was just updated 2 months ago so I figured it was save to buy and I ordered a custom config Wednesday. It was delivered today. I can't wait to get home tonight so I can set it up. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.