Buy 17" Macbook Pro now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Atoria, Aug 3, 2009.

  1. Atoria macrumors newbie

    Aug 3, 2009
    I am planning to purchase a 17" Macbook Pro for travel, developing, games, etc. Here is the current situation:

    I can buy now with a student discount ($200 off) and get the iPod Touch (~$200 on eBay) and a printer for free. It's basically like $400 off the list price if I sell the iPod Touch and by far the best deal I have seen on apple in the past 2 years.

    The only thing is that the special scares me a little and makes me think that after I purchase it they will release a new video card or upgraded processor. Is there any official/unofficial news of upgrades coming to the Macbook Pro in late 2009? I know Snow Leopard comes pre-installed on all machines after September 2009, but that's it.
  2. pprior macrumors 65816

    Aug 1, 2007
    you've identified the issues.

    I just bought a 17" MBP and got the discount and free touch. Yes there will likely be faster machines with snow leopard, but personally I don't think nahalem notebooks will be out till next year and even if they are out, I think given the pricing seen with MP and that architecture that they will have limited benefit without spending a LOT more money.

    A bigger issue to me was the fact that the next ipod touch may have upgrade features including a camera, etc, and obviously more memory. But free is free, so I pulled the trigger.
  3. bli625 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 8, 2009
    If you want a true gaming machine, don't get a MacBook Pro. But for traveling and developing, the 17 MacBook Pro is more than enough, and the deal you posted about sounds like a really good deal. Technology is going to be better and faster everyday. I'm sure if you wait until the next processor bump, you'll be asking yourself the same question.. "should I wait until the next one?" If you need it now, just purchase it now. You'll also be eligible for the Up to date program to upgrade to Snow Leopard when it comes out.
  4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604


    Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
    The next update is February. You would be saving money, but if you are a student check-out the ADC.
  5. AMessy macrumors member

    Sep 19, 2005
    Green Bay, WI
    They have done the "back to school" special where they include iPods with student purchases the last few years. It is most likely a way to clear out old iPod Touch stock ahead of an update rather then to clear out stock on MBP's which were just updated.
  6. HLdan macrumors 603


    Aug 22, 2007
    ADD is for student developers. Dude, don't just recommend it people just to save money.
  7. tersono macrumors 68000


    Jan 18, 2005
    Buy. The current 17" MPB is an astonishingly good machine - I've only had mine about a week and I'm seriously taken aback at how much better it is than the 2007 version I had.
  8. Carlos E macrumors 6502

    Carlos E

    Jun 30, 2007
    Product: MacBook Pro
    Recommendation: Buy - Product recently updated
    Last Release: June 08, 2009
    Days Since Update: 56 (Avg = 200)

    The 17" MacBook Pro was just updated 2 months ago so I figured it was save to buy and I ordered a custom config Wednesday. It was delivered today. I can't wait to get home tonight so I can set it up. :)

Share This Page