Buy 17" MBP or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Androidpwns, May 25, 2012.

1. Androidpwns macrumors regular

Apologies for another thread but I'm kinda in two minds here..

Rumors abound that the 17" will be discontinued after the next refresh.

I'm thinking the current 17" will be a decent upgrade ( complete with 16gb ram and 512gb SSD, when bought separately, we all know how Apple can kill you on prices. Which I plan to add shortly after purchase ).

I'll be upgrading from a c2d 2.5ghz MBP 2008 model 17".

Would you recommend waiting ( and therefore risk missing out on the current 17 if discontinued, or I could maybe snap up a refurbished model ).

Or diving in and grabbing one of these before WWDC?

I'm curious to what kind of RT performance boost I'd be getting from such a jump?

Thanks to all in advance.

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If you're considering a refurb and don't need it right now....I'd wait. I really don't think they are going to discontinue the 17" model, but regardless the refurb prices should be a little cheaper once they refresh everything.

3. Zzari macrumors member

I second this. Wait for the refresh, and if there isn't one just pick up a refurb or one off of your local Craigslist or ebay. Prices on secondhand items will probably go down once the new refresh comes out too.

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wait out the 15 days. Then you will know for sure whether they are discontinued, upgraded, or neither. Use that information to make an informed decision based on fact instead of speculation. There will be no missing out on the current model 17", they will still be available for many years.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'm in the same shoes, except that my MBP is a bit newer than yours. In any case, I've been looking at MBP 17s on eBay and I almost pulled a trigger on a couple of them. But...the refresh is so close, that unless you absolutely have to have a new laptop now, it just makes sense to wait. Even if you end up not liking what the refresh has to offer, many others will be excited. I expect the availability of MBPs on eBay to increase soon after the refresh. The time is on our side.