Buy 2.53GHz or 2.8GHz MBP 'late'?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barefeats, Oct 25, 2008.

1. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

If you are trying to decide between the 2.53GHz MBP and the 2.8GHz MBP, consider this factoid:
    When running 3D accelerated games, the 2.8 is 32% faster on average even though the CPU cores are only running 11% faster.

That's an average of multiple games at high settings at both 1280x800 and 1440x900.

So if you are a hard core laptop gamer, the 11% price premium on the 2.8GHz is worth it.

On the other hand, if you only run CPU intensive apps, you'll see a 11% gain that matches the 11% price differential.

I haven't tested Core Image intensive apps yet but will report back in a few days.

2. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

Do you have any stats to back that up? Or are you basing it on the speed percentage differences? I would like to see some game benchmark stats to back up those claims. :)

3. barefeats thread starter macrumors 65816

barefeats

I've done careful benchmarking. I have more tests I'm running this morning. will post the results on BareFeats.com Monday morning.

If I have time today, I'll post sooner.

4. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

Thanks buddy, that will be good reading, although I've ordered the 2.53 now anyway and I'm patiently waiting for it :rolleyes:

5. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Spending the incremental money for gaming seems a waste to me.
    Rather spend it on ram and extra drives.

6. Grandma Death macrumors newbie

Would be great to see some tests between the 2.53 GHz and the 2.8 GHz.

Especially if there is a big difference between thermal and battery life.

7. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Interesting! One thing that worries me about the 2.8 Ghz might get hotter then the 2.53. Can you also add heat output measurements in your testing as well?

8. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

whats the battery difference between the two? I'm currently trying to decide between the 2.53 and the 2.8. I want the 2.8 because I figure it'll be a little more "futureproof", but I'm worried by the fact that the 2.8 can't be returned if there's a defect (especially being that the closest apple store is 4.5 hours away).

9. barefeats thread starter macrumors 65816

barefeats

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to measure internal and external temps during heavy testing. Battery life may have to come in a follow-up article so I can set up a "slow death" test later next week.