Buy 2 New iPhones Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xiteer, Mar 9, 2009.

  1. Xiteer macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #1
    Hey guys!

    Just wanted to see what the community thinks about my situation. I am currently a proud owner of an older model iPhone (2G I guess, with EDGE). My wife has a regular flip phone but thinks she is ready for an iPhone.

    I recently accepted a new position at work and they are going to subsidize the majority of my cellular bill so I was thinking that I should go ahead and make an investment and get a new 3G iPhone so I can more effectively keep up with email when I am out of the office... and I can't just get a new one for myself, have to pick one up for the wife too this time.

    So here's my problem.. do I go ahead and drop the $400 now for two 3G iPhones or should I wait until the next generation comes out (hopefully soon) and be an early adopter on that model?

    Thanks in advance!!
    -Xiteer
     
  2. samh004 macrumors 68020

    samh004

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #2
    Personally I'd wait until June, as that's likely when the next model will drop.
     
  3. iParis macrumors 68040

    iParis

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    New Mexico
    #3
    +1 on the wait.
    I think that one will be announced in June then released in July.
    If you don't wait you may end up wishing you did.
     
  4. Theaser macrumors 6502

    Theaser

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    #4
    So again, if you really need it....
     
  5. iParis macrumors 68040

    iParis

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    New Mexico
    #5
    If he can't stand his 2G iPhone for another 3 - 4 months then yes, he should get an iPhone 3G now, along with one for his wife if she can't stand to use her flip phone for those months.
     
  6. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

    Mr. Giver '94

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    Location:
    London
    #6
    Wait. The current version is nothing special.
     
  7. Xiteer thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #7
    Thanks for all the comments! We can definitely stand to wait longer before we upgrade.. I could see us waiting 5 or 6 months if need be so maybe we should wait.

    I wonder what the price model will be when the new one drops.... you know tough economic times and all :)
     
  8. iParis macrumors 68040

    iParis

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    New Mexico
    #8
    I wouldn't expect the price to go up unless a 32GB model is also introduced.
    Also, I can't see the price going down.
     
  9. Xiteer thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #9
    Ok.. here is my uneducated, unfounded and completely hopeful prediction. They will release a 32GB model, it will cost the same as the current 16GB 3G model.. they will also have a 16GB model that will cost the same as the current 8GB model and do away with the 8GB option.
     
  10. iParis macrumors 68040

    iParis

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    New Mexico
    #10
    That is a very good point and I thought of the same thing right after I hit "Submit Reply" on my previous post.
     
  11. Deathshead macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #11
    well thats if you count 3G and GPS not being special. lol. however I must agree, the 2g feels like a rock, way better built, vs the flimsy 3g and its cracking case, i can squeeze mine with my hand it squeeks and makes noise becuase the screen was put on unevenly....
     
  12. Deathshead macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #12
    small possibility of a better camera, too, but ya, they have too much going on with the app store to make HUGE leaps in hardware upgrade right now.

    This is the reason why the neutered the phone by holding simple features back, to so they can ride the hardware out for as long as possible.

    Im thinking bigger capacity, and hopfully a return to metal case, stainless steel would be wonderfull.
     
  13. bigchief macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    #13
    I agree with this with some hardware improvements. Since we're all guessing here, I read on another forum where they were speculating they would keep the 8GB with only edge capability and lower the monthly rates to around $15 a month. This would be for most people in the U.S. who live no where near a 3G area.
     
  14. iFerd macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2007
    #14
    I upgraded to a 3G about a month ago and don't regret it at all, even if something new and better comes out in June. I was bothered by low call volume and low ringer volume, and those are both taken care of for me with the 3G. I wouldn't have upgraded just for 3G or GPS, but both are nice to have.

    So, it depends on one's needs. If you can wait and don't feel the need for the features in the current model, then I'd also wait for the next version. That was what I originally planned to do, until I had a chance to hear the 3G.

    I know that I now am locked in to this model for two more years, but that was something I thought about and accept.

    Incidentally, I was able to sell my orginal iPhone on eBay for almost $300, Buy It Now. It sold in an hour.
     
  15. Xiteer thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #15
    Wow, I didn't realize that they were such hot items on ebay.. hopefully they will stay that way until the next models come out and I upgrade :)
     
  16. iFerd macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2007
    #16
    I didn't mention that the price was for an 8GB. If I had been willing to be more patient, I think it might have gone for as much as $350. Remember that the service terms are better for the first generation phone. $20 instead of $30 for data, and 200 text messages are included vs. $5 for that many with the 3G.

    Also, they can be unlocked more conveniently that the 3G, or so I recall.
     
  17. lalitearns macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    #17
    with the time running and new phones being launced in the market daily i think u can afford to wait for the new iphone. it will be launced soon.[​IMG]
     
  18. diemos macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    #18
    I'm in the same situation, my GF wants iphone and i want a new one cuz my 2g is almost dead (screen cracked, the back is kind of popping out, its crazy how much this phone can withstand) anyways, Id wait till June, i'm quite sure they will release new Iphone, not just upgrade memory. in fact i don't think they will upgrade memory because then ipod touch would have to go up and etc.

    I think they will release new iphone higher rez 720x480(or whatever it is) and MAYBE upgrade camera (add maybe cheap video recording option) then also add copy paste with firmware upgrade.

    So I'd wait 100%. I think it'll be worth the wait.
     
  19. txjeep macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2009
    #19
    I feel your pain, except I don't have the 2G to tide me over. I've been waiting for my upgrade eligibility date of Mar 23. But now I'm thinking I'll stick it out another 3 months and wait for the next iPhone model.
     
  20. d wade macrumors 65816

    d wade

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Boca Raton, FL
    #20
    it's way more special than any phone he has now
     
  21. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2008
    #21
    I vote wait. Will your company still subsidize the bill of the newer model (dont think it will be more expensive actually)
     
  22. benflick macrumors 68020

    benflick

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    #22
    Buy one new 3G now, give the Mrs. the 2G. Then come July, if a new iphone is released, buy one new (4g) iPhone. Sell the 2G and gain some money back. That is, of course if your wife wants the 2G, then the 3G eventually.
     
  23. Xiteer thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #23
    They subsidize a flat rate per month regardless or carrier or plan, basically compensation for on call time. I think I am going to take the advice of the majority of this thread and just wait then get two new ones when the new model drops..

    Then again if you guys are willing to take up some sort of collection I will get a 3G now because I'm confident that as soon as I buy a 3G a new model will be released within weeks :)
     

Share This Page