Buy 21.5 imac now or wait for retina?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hman81, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Hman81 macrumors newbie

Basically the question in the title. I thinking of buying an imac soon but worried about a retina version for the 21inch imac will come out soon like with the 13 and 15 macbook pros? The imac is replacing my 11inch macbook air as i no longer need portability.

2. Kritzmire macrumors member

Kritzmire

There's rumored to be a 21.5" retina upgrade releasing in late 2015.
    But you're probably looking at roughly 6-12 months before release I'd imagine.
    These are just rumors though, nothing confirmed.

3. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

I would tend to expect a 21" Retina iMac in a year or two. It's a natural 4K display, so it won't require anything special to run it, just panel availability. But that is pure and utter conjecture.

That said, the base 21.5" iMac is really a low spec 11" Air with a monitor attached. You could easily just attach a monitor and use it until there is a real improvement available.

4. Hman81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats not a bad idea actually, but I would like a bit more power. I guess I will have to weigh up the options.

5. Skittery Badger macrumors newbie

If you need it now, I wouldn't wait. The current model looks great, and I personally don't expect a 21" retina for a year or so.

6. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Try and hold out for the 21.5" 1TB fusion drive on refurb.me. I did that and won the lottery for a free upgrade to 16GB of RAM and the 3.1Ghz processor. Do. Not. Buy. A. New. iMac. With. A. HDD.

Then, when the retina 21.5" comes out in 6 or so months just move your chair 6 inches further away from your screen to have the same "retina" experience :)

7. sostoobad macrumors regular

I just bought the entry level 2014 I mac, 1st one for me, have had a few Airs.

I think it is just dandy, screen is crisp and clear, its plenty fast.

8gb and 500GB of storage are plenty for me, and will be for probably 95% of the people who buy an I mac or any computer.

Heck I have a 2011 Mini at home and downloaded a ton of pics in 3yrs, plenty of space left.
    It really depends on what you are going to do with it.
    Wait for retina ? I wouldn't and didn't. Could be a while too.
    at $929.00 shipped from the refurb store, its a value.:D

8. sharon22 macrumors regular

I'm worried too.... I want to buy a brand new 21.5 inch iMac, but NOT JUST YET, and I know for a FACT that I do NOT want a Retina, and I'm afraid that the non-retina's will all be replaced.

9. iono11200 macrumors member

I purchased my first Imac this past July. I got the 21.5 2.7 ghz. I added the 2tb Time Capsule and a set of Bose speakers. It's one of the nicest things I have ever owned, hands down the nicest computer I've ever owned. If a 21.5 retina is released I'd sure to be a buyer, but right now I could not be happier. Life's short. Treat yourself to something nice.

10. Hman81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies I think I wil buy now, i want a fusion drive at least as im used to a ssd in my macbook air

11. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Why on earth do you *not* want a Retina?

12. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

If you feel that you fall under that, I think the iMac will be a great buy for you anyway. I wouldn't buy a retain 21.5" if I thought like that.

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Why on earth wouldn't you want a retina?!