Buy 21.5'' imac or keep using MBP and don't buy anything ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bo-waleed, Feb 5, 2011.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

i have late 2008 MBP with this specs :

15.4 inch screen
    2.53 GHz C2D
    4 GB RAM
    2 nividia cards

my MBP is working fine and i like it.

reasons for getting imac :

larger screen and better resolution which i think watching videos will be better then my MBP (although i don't have any complains when watching on my MBP)

it looks cool, lol

more powerful then my MBP (2.8 GHz i5) so i can play some windows games, although i don't like about 80% of widows games like strategy,FPS and role-playing games.
    i already have ps3 for gaming but i like to play some games in 60 fps where you can only play them in 30 fps on the ps3.
    the problem with this is that you have to replace the gpu about every 2 years but i don't know about these stuffs.

how is the speakers ? better then MBP's ? better when watching movies and gaming ?

one last thing : the internet connection sometimes disconnect from my MBP because my room is far away from the router, the chances this happens is 5%.

i will not buy the current imacs, i will wait for the next update.

so what is your opinions ?

2. aussiedj macrumors regular

Try running http://www.istumbler.net/ to ensure your wifi channel is not interfering with any neighbouring wifi networks. Try changing the channel of the wifi anyway to a higher channel.

Do you have an airport extreme? (if so duel band?)
    If you do, open Airport Utility - Go to Wireless - Wireless Network Options - Then have a look at your Multicast Rate. Maybe look at lowering it slightly.

cutpaste - The Multicast Rate option sets the threshold throughput level a wireless client must obtain in order to be "accepted" by the base station. The lower this value, theoretically, the greater number of clients that can connect, especially those at greater distances from the base station

21.5" is too small an upgrade from your 15" MBP. Save up for a 27" IMHO.

3. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

our wifi require password so i don't think someone else is using it.

well it disconnect when my father and my 2 brothers are connecting at the same time (2 laptops and one pc desktop)

well i can buy it if i want (money is no issue) but it doesn't fit in my desktop but i think i can put it somewhere else.

and what do you think about my first post ? i need some opinions.

4. aussiedj macrumors regular

No no. If they have wifi running on the same channel, they are going to interfere with each other. Just like if you had 4 walkie talkie's on the same channel & with 4 people having 2 separate conversations. It's gonna clash & weaken your signal.

I would not get an iMac just for gaming in Windows. Leave the gaming on the PS3 IMO.

And also as for speakers in iMac... I guess to the user they would sound alright. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to sound quality. The only sound that goes through my MBP speakers are system sounds (dings etc). I have an external sound card (Apogee duet) plugged into a pair of studio monitors. Anything less would just irritate me.

Even the Bose Lifestyle System irritates me.

5. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

really ?

i downloaded that program but how to ensure my wifi channel is not interfering with any neighbouring wifi networks, it only show a number in the channel column.

how can i change the wifi channel to a higher channel ?

6. aussiedj macrumors regular

Well on the more common G (2.4GHz) the channels are 1 - 13.

Have a look at the list on the program you downloaded & choose a number that is not in that list.

Then, if you have a Airport Extreme - Open the Airport Utility App. Click on Manual Setup. Click on the Wireless tab. Then press edit under Radio Channel Selection & put that number in there. Then close & it will ask you to save the changes to the Airport Extreme.

7. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

the channel number is 11.

there is only one network in the list and that is my network.

i don't use any airport wireless device. i am using a router called billion

which number should i choose ? 13 ?

8. aussiedj macrumors regular

Do you find that odd that there are no other wireless networks around you? Or do you live rural?

Mine defaulted to 11, so I changed it to 8.

To Log in, open your web browser & type in the address bar: 192.168.1.254

The default username is: admin
    The default password is: admin

9. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

if there is no other network do i have to change the channel number ? any reason ?

also i typed 192.168.1.254 in the address bar it takes too long to open the page.
    it still loading.

in the noise column in that program it says 12%.

10. aussiedj macrumors regular

No, not if there aren't any other networks interfering. But I was hoping there might be a Transmit Power option, or Channel Widening option.

11. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

so, no solution for this problem ?

i tried that ip number and it doesn't work.

12. aussiedj macrumors regular

Open the app 'Network Utility' & go to Netstat & Display Routing table information.

Then click the Netstat button.

This will give you all the ip addresses in your network. Try them until you hit your router.

13. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

there were 3 ip address and they didn't work.

should i close something before log in my router ? transmission app ?

14. aussiedj macrumors regular

15. vistadude macrumors 65816

If you want to play computer games, get a PC. The imac is too slow and not expandable for gaming needs (processor, hard disk, sound card, video card, monitor, keyboard, or mouse). The PC will also play video well.

Any of these except the first computer will be good for gaming, and will allow you to upgrade the video card later.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...sg/desktops/leftnav_category_high_performance