Buy 3G now...eligible for next iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kinkster, Dec 24, 2008.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

If I buy an iPhone now would I be eligible for the new version assumable coming out in June/July?

What I mean is would I probably get the subsidized price?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

No, because you are getting a subsidized 3G iPhone w/a 2-year contract. You would probably have to pay full pop in Jun/Jul...:(

3. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah that sucks. Well, I can't think of much that would change the rate plan, so maybe I can sell my old one on ebay and get the new one at the full price, and maybe only pay $200 or so for the upgrade, then just pop my sim in the new one?

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Nope,

the original iPhone was not subsidized, we paid $599 (8g model) for a 2 year contract, but this time around the 8g model was going for $199, because AT&T agreed to subsidized the iPhone and pay off the remaining $400 to Apple if you agreed to sign up once again for another 2 year contract. for that reason, if another iPhone were to be released next summer you will still be under your original 2 year contract until 2010, so I doubt that next time around we will have the same luck to to be allowed to upgrade again.

thats my guess, but no one here on the forum knows, things may always change, and no one even knows if another iPhone will be released again next june/July. apple just releases things

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's really up for grabs.

All iPhone users will be able to upgrade for sure (which is what AT&T and Apple want), so who knows. There is a chance though that if it's a subsidized price again, we will get it at that price. I don't think Apple can go from "Twice as fast, to half the price" to "Twice as fast, twice the price". Catch my drift?

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

You get a subsidized phone and will have to wait 2 years to get another unless you pay full price.

My dilemma also. I feel like I can and should wait until summer for
    the third generation. There is also the possibility for an Iphone nano.

7. Daveecee macrumors regular

As the others have said, if you buy an iPhone now, you will have to pay the unsubsidized price for an upgrade, most likely.

However, if you're going to wait another six months to buy the phone, you may as well just keep on waiting forever. Just buy one now and be happy with it. Most features yet to come for the phone are software related anyway.