Buy 4S now or wait a while?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jedi5, Oct 28, 2011.

  1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502a


    Aug 16, 2009
    North Burbs, IL
    Looking to buy the 4S but I'm not sure if should do it now or wait 1-2 months for any "bugs" to be addressed. Reading about battery life, problems with Siri, etc...

    I'm also looking to sell my 32gb 3GS. I know if I wait, I won't be getting that much for it like I probably could right now. A few weeks ago the 32gb 3GS was selling on eBay anywhere from $250 and up. Now it's selling for under $225.
    I'm sure if I wait, that price will drop drastically.

    Just typing this makes me think I should buy now... sigh...
  2. benhollberg macrumors 68020


    Mar 8, 2010
    Buy now. There are very few problems and nothing bad enough to wait for.
  3. salacious macrumors 6502a

    May 15, 2011
  4. M87 macrumors 65816

    Jul 18, 2009
    Whatever fix they do would be done through software I think. Not much reason to wait.
  5. wellok macrumors 6502

    Oct 12, 2011
  6. erad2010 macrumors newbie

    Sep 30, 2010
    Athens OH
    Wait. I have a 32GB iPhone 4 and it does everything the 4S does except Siri. And to be honest, I would never use it. I don't like walking around talking to my phone.
  7. gloryunited macrumors 6502

    Oct 29, 2010
    But some are saying their battery drops dead real fast while in standby. If that's the case, it can hardly be used... :confused:
  8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

    Feb 9, 2011
    Please see all other "Should I buy now or wait?" threads. No matter what the topic it's the same process. You need to make the call based on your preferences and requirements. I wouldn't wait. YMMV, of course.

    If that was the case across the board then no one could use their 4s. Obviously, that isn't the case across the board. If you don't buy products when some people post that they are having problems with that product then you'd never be able to buy anything. People will always have problems and every forum site is skewed in that the majority of posts are from people with problems.

    Again, you need to make the call for yourself. There's a return period. If the battery is a make-or-break deal you should know well before your return period runs out.
  9. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

    Mar 7, 2010
  10. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

    Oct 9, 2011
    i say buy now. There hasnt really been any report of hardware flaws. The battery issue is probably software related as not everyone is having the issue. Probably some configuration of certain users.
  11. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Aug 16, 2009
    North Burbs, IL
    You're right. I have seen those threads but the threads I read were more along the lines of should I buy 4S or wait for the 5 to drop.
    I am going to buy this phone. My question was more along the lines of wait for the bugs to get worked out or just go ahead and buy it.
    Aside any quirks that might or might not get addressed, my bigger concern is selling my current 3GS. The longer I wait, the more money I lose there as well.

    So I guess I answered my own question then... 4S... here I come!
  12. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

    Feb 28, 2011
    Not every iPhone 4S owner is posting on macrumors about their issues, and there is millions of them :)

    Two of my buddies have them and they have no complaints if that makes you feel safer :p
  13. ron808 macrumors regular


    Oct 13, 2011
    West Coast, USA
    I live for the moment and loving it.

    If a new one comes along, then I'll get it.

    Should this be a BFD? I don't think so.
  14. MarcBook macrumors 6502a


    Jul 13, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I'm experiencing pretty bad battery life with my 4S so far, although it just about makes it through a full day of 'normal' use (texting now and then, a bit of Web browsing here and there etc.). It definitely wouldn't make it through a day of relatively heavy use such as gaming and YouTube, though.

    I'm really hoping that Apple gets to the bottom of this (most likely an iOS 5 issue) soon so we can get back the battery life iPhones are famous for (among smartphones).

    My iPhone 4 with iOS 5 was great, so it's a bit disappointing using my 4S day-to-day at the moment.

    In my opinion, however, it's probably not worth waiting. Even with the battery concerns at the moment, the 4S is a top class phone.
  15. RedburnIV macrumors regular


    Jun 21, 2010
    If you're upgrading from a 3GS then yeah, I'd say get it now. You'll be very pleased with it.
  16. pdqgp macrumors 68020


    Mar 23, 2010
    I say do it. I had a 3Gs and after one week with the 4s I was more blown away by it's performance and speed over the Gs than I ever thought I would be.

    The best feature isn't the speed either. It's the voice recognition and Siri, well, that's a huge plus/bonus too. Amazing.

    Battery life for me has been great.
  17. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000


    Aug 7, 2011
    Liverpool, UK
    Oh no. We wouldn't want to be talking to our phone now, would we?

    Get the phone man. I've owned both and the A5 processor gives the 4S a serious advantage in every aspect. And the camera rocks? You will not regret it
  18. gloryunited macrumors 6502

    Oct 29, 2010
    Thanks, I am feeling safe now. :D
  19. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

    Dec 16, 2009
    Wait for the iPhone 5. LOL, kidding. Not everyone with a 4S is having problems, go for it.
  20. cyks macrumors 68020


    Jul 24, 2002
    Westchester County, NY
    Your iPhone 4 does everything the 4S does except for Siri... and take 8MP/ higher quality images... and, as it's released, take advantage (or possibly even run) applications designed for the new processor.

    Of course, you're also already assuming that the OP also has a 32GB iPhone 4... since, if they don't, one can't be purchased new- unless they go with the 8GB.
  21. travis64 macrumors 6502a


    Nov 18, 2008
    i would wait for the redesign but if u got the money to pay in full for the next iphone then do it
  22. ZBoater macrumors G3


    Jul 2, 2007
    Sunny Florida
  23. andiwm2003 macrumors 601


    Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Apple said they sell the factory unlocked iPhone in November. Are there any reports, rumors when they sell the unlocked phones?

    Now that the Nexus seems to be locked to Verizon the iPhone becomes more interesting to me.....

Share This Page