Buy a 15'' at Bestbuy??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fishguy, Mar 17, 2015.

1. fishguy macrumors newbie

Just registered here, hello everyone:)

So I've been thinking about getting a 15'' rMBP to replace my non-retina 13'' one, and I'm looking at the 15'' base-model. I realized that it's due for a upgrade soon and was gonna wait for that to happen, until just minutes ago I found the exactly same model on Bestbuy, and it only costs 1999CAD, which is like 500CAD cheaper!

Some questions though:

1. I did a bit more research and found that the newly released 13'' are already being sold at Bestbuy at the same price as Apple Store, so I assume the major discount is due to the relatively outdated specs of 15'', but is it normal? I'm not very familiar with these things and $500 discount just seems to good to be true. I noticed that the RAM's already upgraded to 16G, the CPU clock speed is consistent and the pre-installed OS is Mavericks so everything seems to be fine. But I also noticed that on bestbuy.com they actually have some models that's don't even exists like a 15'' with GT 750 graphic card but only 256 GB SSD. So I guess the question is are these models really the same as what's being sold at Apple store or did Bestbuy upgrade things themselves?

2. If they are legit I want to hear you guy's opinions on if it's worth it. I'm not in serious need of a new laptop right now but I think the price is just very good for such a powerful machine. I will use the laptop to do some programming and running virtual machines etc so RAM is pretty important for me but I don't think I will use the CPU to its full power.

I don't really know what to expect from next upgrade but I assume its mostly about CPU since the RAM just got upped and 16Gb would be more than enough for me anyways. I'm not into the new touch pad and would do little gaming with mbp. The only other factor would be the new SSD which I read is "twice as fast" as the old ones but I'm not sure what it means. I thought things were already pretty fast so is it just like going from 0.2 sec to 0.1 sec? So i guess I just want to know if there's anything else worth waiting for the new update.

Please share your opinions. THanks !

2. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Well seeing as how nothing other then ssd can be changed on Retina I can almost guarantee that they just used the wrong sky one putting the computer into the system. It is defiantly safe to buy from best buy. Warranty is the same, just check the specs on the laptop itself before you leave the store and you can make sure your getting what you paid for.

3. Roadking714 macrumors regular

Not sure if it was only me but the last two macbooks I bought from best buy had a yellow tint to the screen they were Samsung screens. Apple carried the better screens of the two I bought with them. Not sure if best buy are selling old batches

4. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

When I purchased my 2011 mbp I found Amazon to be the best deal. I want to say it was 11% cheaper than Apple and no taxes. About $330 cheaper then purchasing directly through Apple.

5. GP-SE macrumors 6502

best buy is fine, just make sure it's the same specs here:
    http://store.apple.com/ca/buy-mac/macbook-pro

also check the model numbers and compare.
    if the price seems too good to be true, then most likely it's an older model, or open box.

6. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

The 15" has been out since late 2013 with a slight refresh in mid 2014, but I don't think that makes the specs "relatively outdated." It's going to be a bit longer before you start seeing quad-core broadwell processors in the 15". The discount is because we're probably about 3/4 of the way through the product cycle. Not because you're buying an outdated machine.

It's a great time to buy aggressively priced rMBPs if you're in the market for one. Good luck!

7. fishguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!

I did go back to check the specs and model number and its the same as what's being sold on apple store. Interestingly Best buy/future shop is the only place online thats offering such great deals.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the open box part?(English is not first language for me) Does it mean its a returned item? But I assume its quality would still be good?

8. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

An open box item is a new one that has been opened via customer return or display model. It would clearly indicate if its an open box item that's being sold however, otherwise it should be new and sealed. I'm not sure about Canada, but Best Buy here in the US offers the same 14-day return policy that Apple offers with no restocking fee, so not really a big risk on your part if you decide to jump on it.

9. Brad8803 macrumors newbie

Th

I just bought the 15 base rmbp at best buy. I ended up getting it 20% off new. They have a great sale and then go on eBay and get another 10% off coupon. I have been looking at it for a week and realized that 256 gb is going to be to small. Taking it back tomorrow with another 10% coupon and their 10% off sale and should be around $2030 or so from $2500. It turns out $320 more than the base and I'm getting the extra storage, little faster CPU and a gpu. That gives me enough for the apple care and a good external. I've bought all my apple products from best buy and have always got good buys and product. The Mac store downtown don't care where I get them and they do all service and warranty. I feel it is a win win because the pricing can be much better than education or refurbed, just wish the software would discount at times. Good luck, I don't think you'll be sorry with whatever choice you make. This unit is to update my 7 year old 24 " IMAC that came new from best buy so screen size and power were important. I have an air for travel.

10. fishguy thread starter macrumors newbie

That's some great advice, thank you. I'm also curious to know if you are living in Canada or US. I did find some coupons on eBay but I'm not sure if they apply to the stores here in Canada. Even the ones on ebay.ca are sold from US. It just seems that options are always limited here.

----------

That's some great advice, thank you. I'm also curious to know if you are living in Canada or US. I did find some coupons on eBay but I'm not sure if they apply to the stores here in Canada. Even the ones on ebay.ca are sold from US. It just seems that options are always limited here.

11. fishguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the info. It seems not a bug deal but I will remember to mention it yo the sales person tomorrow. Thanks.

12. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

What is it you are doing that you would consider a quad core Haswell as "outdated" for your needs? I agree, you may have a reason not to pay top dollar for last years processor; but it will be far from outdated for a vast majority of users. If you are getting $500 off; that's a great deal.

13. steveyo macrumors regular

Have you looked at all the CPU scores for the past few gens? They're more of a "sideways" upgrade than a "upwards" upgrade due to the minimal CPU score benefits they provide.

14. fishguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got the laptop. The guy talked me into buying a 2 year full protection care as well, in return of getting another 150CAD off. I could take 50 more discount if I choose the opembox one but didnt . so the final price is 1850CAD before tax, even after the brutal 13%tax its not a bad deal IMO. They didn't give me student discount either since the price is already much lower :(

I took the plan because my last laptop suffered a roof leaking and though it survived the motherboard was damaged pretty bad and I had no idea how it lasted this long. No need to worry now.

I also asked about coupons and the guy said they don't take best buy.com discounts here in Canada so no need to waste time getting them if you are not in US.

15. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Congrats - how much did they charge for the 2 year full protection plan?

I ask because you can get 3 years' warranty with AppleCare...

16. fishguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Its 30CAD per month for 2 years but with 150CAD off the laptop. Im mostly attracted to their accidental coverage, the guy jokingly said yo me that I can basically shred it into parts and replace it with a new one in two years... Not that I'm going to do that but it sounds my laptop will be good hands. My last laptop actually died because of the water damage that time and Apple dont cover for that , but somehow it revived after a few days.

I think they also three years plan as well but I only asked for 2.

17. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Seems like a reasonable deal - do they just debit your credit card every month?

18. fishguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.