Buy a 15" rMBP now or wait for the update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by owais12, Jul 9, 2013.

  1. owais12, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

    owais12 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2010
    #1
    I've seen a ton of 13" threads but not any 15" ones.

    Do you think the update will be worthwhile?
    I don't need an 11.ac update, battery life is a non-issue to me and graphics wise, all i do is watch 720p movies.
    The main thing i don't want is being left with an almost new laptop that looks aesthetically different or finding out there has been a price drop for the new model.

    Do you think it's worth waiting for?
    I can currently get one in the UK for 1528 pounds ($2200?) with a free gift card and 3 yrs applecare.

    I really need a laptop now as i've sold my 13" MBP as it was way too slow even after a reformat and reinstall (it's had a lot of drops :p)
     
  2. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

    dazlicous

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Manchester
    #2
    I am waiting, if you don't need one now, best to wait and see what the Haswell version brings to the rMBP.

    Then you can decide which one and if you then go Ivy Bridge they should be even cheaper in the refurb store
     
  3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

    sonicrobby

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2013
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #3
    What he said ^^^^

    EDIT: But seeing as you sold your other one, I guess you dont really have a choice right?
     
  4. owais12 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2010
    #4
    My other option is to buy a brand new MBA for 810 pounds ($1200) + the gift card and 3 yrs of apple care. i should hopely be able to sell that when the retina comes out for roughly a 50-70pound ($70-100?) loss after selling the gift card.
     
  5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

    sonicrobby

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2013
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #5
    Maybe if you take REALLY great care of it and are confident that you can sell it, then sure.
     
  6. tgi macrumors 65816

    tgi

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    #6
    Only buy now if you can get a good deal below MSRP or refurbished from Apple.com.

    Don't pay full price if you purchase now.
     
  7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 15, 2005
    #7
    as others said

    IF you buy now, get a refurb or from one of the resellers. don't pay full retail at all. The new ones should be maybe same price with some better features, and probably not just the latest processor and AC, possibly a tad bit more ram or SSD space for the money, or less money than before.
     
  8. andeify macrumors 6502

    andeify

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    £1528 in the UK with 3 years Apple Care is a good deal, the update will have substantially improved battery life, 802.11ac WiFi, possibly Thunderbolt 2, similar performing CPUs and probably a step down as far as graphics is concerned. If you can live without the changes I would say buy now.
     
  9. owais12 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2010
    #9
    Bought a MBA for £810 + AppleCare and a £70 gift card. Should be able to sell the giftcard for ~£50 meaning it'll have cost me £760.

    I should be able to sell it at a minimum of £720 by the time the retina is out given used 2012 MBA'/ with AppleCare go for £700+.


    Which model and spec retains its value best? Base models of the 13" MBP and MBA's I assume right?





    Time to wait for the 15" retina ... :)

    ----------

    Just realised I would benefit from 802.11ac and I can't complain about more battery life so I'm waiting it out now and in the due time I bought a cheap air.
     
  10. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    Location:
    Always Somewhere
    #10
    if you need today, please buy now.
    because new version will come on october (late model 2013).
    apple have 3 model time to launching their produt : EARLY (FEB), MID (JUNE) and LATE (OCTOBER).
     
  11. KPOM macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #11
    If the GeekBench stats making their rounds on the rumor sites are real, the Haswell update will be another case of trading maximum performance for battery life. It's corroborated by the MacBook Air. The 2013 version has similar performance to the 2012 version. All the optimization was to extend the battery life. The IGP will be faster, but still not discrete GPU fast. Since you've already said battery life isn't important, my advice would be to get a refurbished current model.
     
  12. Alag28 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2006
    #12
    i was fortunate to pick up a sweet deal from a member here sealed 2013 15" rMBP base for 1600$...haswell can kiss my ass for that price.
     
  13. fskywalker macrumors 65816

    fskywalker

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #13
    Nice find! Enjoy!
     
  14. tgi macrumors 65816

    tgi

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    #14
    Wow, that's a great deal!
     
  15. Redsand187 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    Location:
    Central Washington State
    #15
    I hope you're wrong... but I'm pretty sure you are right. Waiting somewhat (im)patiently for a 15" rMBP update. :(
     
  16. Agent-P, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

    Agent-P macrumors 68030

    Agent-P

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    Location:
    The Tri-State Area
    #16
    OP: based on what we know so far (which actually isn't that much), it seems like the Haswell update will focus mostly on battery life (of course a couple other things will be thrown in, but they probably aren't gonna be big). You said that battery life isn't a concern for you, so you might as well pick up a refurbished rMBP now or a rMBP from one of the many Apple resellers as they often have good deals.

    Wow, that's an awesome price. If I found a bargain like that, I wouldn't wait for Haswell either.

    In general, yes these are the three months they release products. However there have been exceptions in the past, and I really hope this rMBP update is one of those exceptions.
     
  17. tgi macrumors 65816

    tgi

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    #17
    May I ask which feature you are anticipating the most?
     
  18. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    Location:
    Sofia, Bulgaria
  19. skolvikes macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2011
    #19
    great snag wow
     
  20. srsub3 macrumors 6502

    srsub3

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2013
    Location:
    NYC
    #20
    buy now if you need.... 5/6 hours battery are still good and performance speaking I don't think there would be an amazing step forward, just a small bump
     
  21. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #21
    Refurb atore has been emptying lately. Could be a sign
     
  22. vandoorn macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 31, 2011
    #22
    Yesterday i've bought a second hand base model 15" rMBP. I had the same requirements you had. I'm not a power user, but i wanted an amazing screen and powerful processor. I didn't care for the update because in my opinion the changes aren't that big. Sure the extra battery life is nice, but 7 hours is already amazing!

    I've bought a 2012 rMBP which was bought in July 2012 and it one had 10 cycles on it! It is in perfect condition and is was 150 euro's cheaper price than a new base model 13" rMBA.

    So far i'm absolutely in love with this machine. It is so much better than my previous 13" MBA 2010.

    So if you want one now, buy now! I will guarantee you will love it!
     
  23. Redsand187 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    Location:
    Central Washington State
    #23
    I am just looking for a refresh. I currently have a 2 year old MBP, I want to get a rMBP, but not at the end of the product cycle.
     

Share This Page