Buy a 2.5G iPod Touch & Return When 3G Is Released?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Miko, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Miko macrumors member

I am really having trouble deciding to buy the iPod Touch released on September 9 or wait until Apple releases an actual iPod Touch 3G in the next upcoming months including a camera.

So after reading some threads there was these recently added pictures of iPod Touch 3G cases w/ camera holes on bestbuy.ca with the release date of October 14th, 2009 (Apple held a keynote at this date last year and could happen again this year). So Apple could possibly be releasing iPod Touch's with cameras within a month. I also read that if you purchase something at Walmart, you have 90 days to return it.

SO..... Whether this is true or not, IDK. But would it be smart to purchase the newest iPod Touch right now and IF a new one comes out within 90 days, I could return it, get my $ back and buy the new one with a camera?

Or if one isn't release in October... I could count back 90 days from when Apple has their January event and purchase an iPod Touch then and hope that Apple releases an iPod Touch w/ camera in January which then I can simply return my iPod Touch, get my $ back and buy the new 1.

What should I do!!! Halp!

2. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

I still don't understand why everyone is referring to it as the 2.5G.
    There's kind of a lot of proof that it is the 3rd Gen already >.>
    And besides. If anyone has actually been to Walmart, they'd know that in the iPod Accessory section, they already have the cases that are expected in October. With the camera hole and everything. So.. I don't know why BestBuy putting them up is making everyone assume there's a new one coming out one month after they "refresh." (And if Apple did that, I'd get angry.)

3. Miko thread starter macrumors member

What! Why would Walmart be selling cases with a camera hole if there isn't a camera on the iPod Touch... this doesn't make sense :(

I'm confused :(

4. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Well they do.
    One in a single case (Black).
    And a Black and White combo pack by the same company. Glen4 or something. (And I think the work IcyCube was on it. But it was definatly G(Something)4.)
    And I'm not making this up, just in case anyone thinks I am. I went to Walmart today to see when the were getting the Touches in, and I looked at the cases.

5. CSilver macrumors 6502

I saw those cases as well! I was really looking forward to see the new Ipod Touch on Sept 09. But hearing the rumors about "it might come out within couple of months~" makes me want to wait... I was personally going to get one from Costco and return it if the updated Ipod Touch with camera or something comes out within 3 months. I am really torn apart what to do about this situation... So frustrating...:mad:

6. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

You know, I'm just going to go for it as soon as they get in stock.
    I mean, 90 day return policy means that if something does happen in October (Though I'm pretty sure nothing will), I can return my iPod Touch and buy a new one.

7. Miko thread starter macrumors member

Yea but it could also happen in January! Or March!

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

9. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Yeah well, by then you can no longer return anyways.
    Quote from Walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/returns)
    "GPS units, digital music players and portable video players: Must be returned within 15 days of receipt. "
    You have two weeks and a day to return your iPod Touch before you may no longer do so.

Edit: Beat by old-wiz.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you really want to do this, you'd have to buy it from Costco.

11. Miko thread starter macrumors member

:( IDK what to do then...

If an iPod Touch w/ camera is released sometime in-between now and next year, will it also include other features such as better battery life, oleo phobic screen, mic? :(

I really want those but I want an iPod Touch NOW!

12. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones." -Costco.ca (http://www.costco.ca/Service/FeaturePageLeftNav.aspx?ProductNo=10045100)

So yeah. Basically if you're worried about a new Touch coming out, then Costco is the way to go. (Rhyme not intended.)

Edit:
    How are we supposed to know what it's going to include..
    It's all up to Apple and their decision on what's best for the iPod Touch Line.
    And seriously, if you want it, and don't have an older Touch, then go for it.

13. CSilver macrumors 6502

Well I was going to put on the 2nd Gen Invisible Shield on the ones that came out on Sept 9th until 90 days. I guess I should just not put it on just in case I need to return it. Hopefully it will come out before Christmas...

14. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I'm just gonna buy it off Mac Connection for $280, w/ free shipping and no CA sales tax and a free case w/ MIR. I figure after that deal, if I really wanted to upgrade, selling it used surely wouldn't be more than a 15% restocking fee, especially with a free case.

15. snowy2004 macrumors member

I think both Steve and Phil said during the event that this was going to be their holiday iPod lineup. I'm pretty certain that you won't see a new touch until next year, maybe even next fall.

I already ordered a 32GB 3G (yes, 3G not 2.5G) touch. I'm upgrading from a 16 GB 1G touch so not only do I get graphics/performance near those of the 3GS and the earphones with a mic, I get bluetooth, volume controls, etc. that came with gen 2. It's worth it for me.

Stop hoping, people. The camera isn't coming soon.

16. MegaDell macrumors member

Is that a legit site? Because 20 bucks seems like a nice little discount, almost 10%.

17. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Don't worry, It's A+ with the BBB, Apple certified, been around forever, and Arn even made a post recommending highly Mac Connection a while back, if you search the forums.

Excellent deal, though. I've been wondering if anyone's found a better one.