Buy a 27" iMac now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gsusser, Jan 23, 2016.

  1. gsusser macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2012
    Location:
    jersey city
    #1
    I want to retire my iMac and buy a new 27". I'm not in a huge rush, but I'm tired of the sluggishness of my present device. Is there a good reason to wait for an updated iMac? I read something about new uniform ports. I'm willing to wait up to 6 months. Thanks.
     
  2. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Zurich, Switzerland
    #2
    Then wait 6 months. The least you'll get out of that is a larger selection in the refurb store.
     
  3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

    phrehdd

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #3
    You never said what you are presently using and what the problems are and what type of applications you expect to use. As for unified ports - it depends on how many they have or you will find yourself having to get either a breakout box/dock or some adapters if there are not enough ports.
     
  4. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2012
    Location:
    jersey city
    #4
    Why is my present computer relevant? I made up my mind to buy another 27" iMac. I simply want to know if rumor has it if there will be any somewhat significant updates to the iMac in the next 6 months.

    I presently own a 27" 2011 iMac. Despite having upgraded to maximum memory, it's slow as heck in running MS Office (for Mac) as well as other programs. In any event, my mind is made up to buy a new machine, not to spend more time and money on my present one.
     
  5. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Zurich, Switzerland
    #5
    Probably due to the lack of an SSD.
    IIRC, the 2011 is the last non-slim version of the iMac and as such can actually be opened relatively easy (well, I haven't dared even with my 2008 - but might do once the HD gives in). So, with a little investment in time and money (SSD, tools-kit from ifixit), you could significantly increase its responsiveness.
    CPU-wise, it seems to be a bit faster (or on par) with my 2012 Mini, which is equipped with an SSD.
    And I can't really complain about its responsiveness.

    Nobody knows if and when the next update for the iMacs comes through. And then it remains to be seen what exactly the update consists of.
    The 27" models already offer Skylake chipsets and CPUs, I would be very surprised to see the successor (Kaby Lake, apparently scheduled for H2 2016) to show up in an Apple product any time before late 2016.
    I would also be surprised to see any significant refresh before "back to school".
    I actually hope they'll release updated notebooks in Q1, finally. The Iris Pro chipsets are supposed(!) to be available in Q1...
     
  6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

    phrehdd

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #6

    What you are using now compared to a new purchase is relevant along with what type of apps. The top of the line 27" iMac is not going to give you that much "more" for simple word processing than the bottom of the line. As well, the upcoming iMac many not either. However, if you have certain types of apps that absolutely benefit from "more" with respect to CPU and perhaps GPU, then you have a choice to make based on real need. This was the only reason to ask. As well, if you have Firewire devices or USB2 etc. you would need to consider how you want to attach them to a new purchase.
     
  7. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #7
    There's usually not much in terms of Mac rumors, and being so far out, I'm rather doubtful that there's even much speculation of could occur.

    If you want to wait until October (the most logical time to see the 5k iMac updated) then wait, otherwise buy it now.

    I don't think we'll see an update in 6 months (June) because Apple seems content to update its iMac line in the fall.
     
  8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #8
    If you want one now buy one now, the port selection will be fine and relevant for the next decade. Unless you are planning to run a second 5k screen sometime it will never impact you at all.
     
  9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #9
    Get an SSD. It is MUCH cheaper, and you'll get SO much more out of the machine. My 2011 iMac with SSD runs like a dream, and I have no plans for upgrading.

    Also, it will make your current Mac as fast as a new one in Word.
     
  10. Trahearne, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

    Trahearne macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2014
    #10
    If I were you, it would not buy one now unless it is urgent. The next generation of GPUs should very likely go into the update this Fall (or earlier), since at least AMD is targeting availability in mid 2016. Unlike the previous update (M200 to M300 Series), this round should bring >2x performance per watt thanks to the new 16/14nm manufacturing node - everyone has stuck on 28nm for the past 4 years. In other words, hopefully 2x stronger GPU options can be provided if the design cap of GPU power and thermal is the same.
     
  11. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #11
    Agreed, since he has a 2011 model, an SSD will definitely give added life to his computer.
     

Share This Page