Buy a 2nd Gen. iPod touch or hold out?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by COSE23, Jun 28, 2009.

1. COSE23 macrumors newbie

Right now I have a 16 gig first gen. iPod touch. I am thinking about selling it and buying a second generation (for the nike plus, bluetooth, external speaker and others), but don't want to if apple is going to release a new iPod Touch sometime soon here (I bought mine a month before they released the 2nd gen.) So I am wondering if I should just hold out, and if apple doesn't release a new touch, is it worth it to upgrade?

2. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I'm in the Same predicament. Apple is definitely going to refresh the Touch Line in Sept. I was going to buy a 3GS but came to the decision I really don't want to pay a Monthly $69.99. I can wait a few morth months to see how the touch revamp works out.

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Wait, iPod Touch 3,1 will be out in September or October most likely. And you won't have to pay for 3.0 (Unless you have already.)

5. COSE23 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Alright thank you. Now the smart thing to do would be to sell my touch right now before the other one is released and brings the value down farther.

6. nirvana06 macrumors regular

don't even have to sell it now. A lot of people are selling ipod touches now, because they switched to 3Gs. You can even wait a couple of weeks before the announcement and sell it then.

I just sold my 1st Gen 16GB for $130 USD. Switched to iPhone.

7. COSE23 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

IMO, if you're going to buy it straight up wait, if you're getting it free with a Mac & rebate, buy. It's almost a given they'll refresh after the rebates are over. I've been caught before..:eek:

9. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Wait for september. I have a 2nd Gen and if I had a 1st I could honestly say I would wait as Ive handled 1st/2nd gens with 3.0 many a times and its not that big of a deal.

10. roboleg macrumors newbie

roboleg

Last year when I bought my MacBook, they introduced the second generation iPod Touch and I was like "OH MAN OH MAN I'M SO LUCKY I WAITED IT OUT!" until I read the fine print where it said that it did not qualify for the rebate.
    SO I ended up getting a 1G 32GB Touch.
    I might just sell it myself and get a 3G. Who knows.
    I'd probs wait it out if I were you.

11. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

This is what I'm trying to tell a mate at work... I bought on the BTS and bought the 8gb touch which i later returned to exchange for another model.

Apple have now refunded me to purchase again but my friend is telling me to wait it out until SEPTEMBER! just incase the touch is updated then I can make use of the 14 day return/excahnge.... But personally I don't think apple would be that stupid or else everybody will be doing the same.
    So I very much doubt the new iPods/ iTouch will be grouped under the 09' BTS rebate.

I think i'm just going to buy the iPod now instead of all this waiting around.

Just having problems deciding which one I want...

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Based on history it make ZERO sense to buy now. There will be new iPods in Sept after the Mac To School deal ends. These new iPods will probably have more features and more memory for the same or less money as current models.

13. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Why is there a consensus that iPods will receive an update in September? I am hoping that since the iPhone has been updated all Apple will do to the iPod Touch is take out the phone part and put in a 64 GB drive. Certainly they can do that now and I hope they are not delaying such an update for an arbitrary yearly event.

14. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Because Apple always releases major iPod revisions in September. The iPod classic and iPod shuffle seem to be updated irregularly, however.