Buy a 3G now, or wait till July/new HW?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndyD, Mar 29, 2009.

  1. AndyD macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2008
    #1
    Whats the verdict then? Should I bite the bullet and get the 3G now, or wait for whatever the HW update is in June/July?

    Many rumors kicking about regarding what the upgrade will be, most of which I'm not fussed about. However, if an OLED pops up, then I might be.

    Help!


    Thanks

    Andy
     
  2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

    Rayfire

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    Location:
    PNW
    #2
    Survey says... ___________!!!

    (waits for next poster)
     
  3. Apple iKid macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Location:
    Colorado
    #3
    I would wait. You never know what kind of trick Apple might release with the new hardware (if it really is coming). And if you dont like it then you could just get the 3G then, maybe even for cheaper. Plus 3.0 will be released.
     
  4. transam7816 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #4
    buy it now and if there is something you like later on unlock your phone and sell it on ebay
     
  5. theDUB macrumors 6502a

    theDUB

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2008
    Location:
    SLT, CA
    #5
    I would wait.
    Sure you will have that new gadget giddy feeling when you first get it, but in a few months you will regret that you didn't have the restraint to wait when you see the new one.
     
  6. slashjunior macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2007
    #6
    I would wait as well. I am sure Apple will release a new model in July. Only got 3 or 4 months to wait if the rumours are true.
     
  7. 3247 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Germany
    #8
    The basic rule for buying IT hardware and electronic devices: If you can wait, wait. It will neither get more expensive nor less capable.
     
  8. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

    -Garry-

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2005
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #9
    The verdict is "It's up to you."

    Do you want an iPhone 3G today or do you want to wait 3/4/5 months for a newer model with new specs and features which nobody is aware of at the moment?
     
  9. Mikey B macrumors 65816

    Mikey B

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    Location:
    the island
    #10
    I went through a similar scenario last year around this time with the first gen. I had been dying to get an iPhone for months and the opportunity finally presented itself so I jumped on it. And I coldn't have been happier with my decision. Not only did I get to have the 1st iPhone (still the best design out of the 2) from mid-March until July, but I sold my Touch to pay for it. Then, when I moved to get a 3G, I sold the 1st gen to fund that.

    Almost everyone on here was telling me it was stupid to buy the 1st gen when I did but for me, it was completely the right choice.

    Good point about the contract, though.
     
  10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #11
    I would wait.

    2 things are going to happen.

    You either shell out a lot of money to buy off-line, then have an outdated piece of very expensive hardware in a few short months.

    Or, you take out a contact and are then stuck with it for 18-24 months before you can upgrade.
     
  11. megapopular macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    #12

    That's cool, but you won't be able to upgrade at the lower price either when the new iPhone comes out, right? I'd say wait on it...
     
  12. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
  13. D-Jam macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #14
    I seriously wish Apple would not keep customers in the dark so much, then surprise them with a new piece of hardware on the fly. I understand they want to not lose months of possible sales from people waiting for a new device, but this is ridiculous.

    Based on that one article where someone high up at AT&T spilled about possible new hardware upgrades, I'd be happier with the 3G as it is now and the 3.0 OS upgrade expected. I'm going to have to kill my T-Mobile contract either way (it ends in Oct and I need to switch sooner for personal reasons), so I'm not going to wait.

    My only big hope are price reductions for AT&T service, but even with a contract I can change my plan if I see better ones come up later.

    I wouldn't be surprised if a new iPhone comes out this summer. It could be the "wow" device people want, but most of the new functions I'm not interested in. It could also just be a RAM update, but I think 16GB will be fine for me since I'm keeping my older iPod anyway for music.

    I personally would rather buy now, wait til the exclusivity contract ends, and you know Apple will lauch an even better iPhone when everyone can carry it, and then wait the 2nd year for all the bugs to be worked out before I update.
     
  14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2008
    #15
    Sigh. Here we go again.
     
  15. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

    =MuLti-CeLL=

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    Location:
    m0biLe
    #16
    Haha, you just looove these threads don't you? You post at least once in every one of them! :p
     
  16. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

    Luke1robb

    Joined:
    May 3, 2008
    Location:
    Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
    #17
    You should create a poll attached to this thread, it would be helpful for others wondering the same thing.

    My vote: WAIT!
     
  17. txjeep macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2009
    #18
    I waited for months for my ATT eligibility date, and when it came (a week ago), ATT had refurb 3Gs for $99. I was going to wait until June/July for the next iPhone, but I could not pass that deal up, so I ordered one. It arrived the next day in perfect condition, not a scratch on it. I absolutely love this thing. I am glad I didn't wait. I can't get over how cool this thing is. :D
     
  18. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

    themoonisdown09

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
  19. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

    Mintin8

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #22
    Please wait! Sure it would be nice to have just now, but if this rumoured upgrade is only months away then just wait.
     
  20. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

    Minimoose 360

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    Location:
    NY
  21. Tate macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere in Indiana
    #24
    If you really want one get it now. I got one almost 4 weeks ago and man I love it. Do I think sometimes that I sould have waited yes, but its like anything else you buy. As soon as you buy it a newer and a little better model comes out and then your like dang I should have waited! That is just the way life works. :D

    Besides when they release 3.0 I well even happier with mine.
    So my vote is get it now. You can't really go wrong either way.
     
  22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #25
    If you're satisfied with 8GB or 16GB and everything, find one for a reduced price (refurbs or other). Otherwise, wait. The new phones will likely see a storage bump OR a price cut. They might also support those new multibutton/multifunction earbuds, and the camera might be better.
     

Share This Page