Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PennyPick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Middle of the USA
I'm in the market to upgrade my 1st Gen iPhone to either the 3G or 3G S.
I just want to make sure I make the right decision on what to buy. So I have a few questions if you all would be so kind to answer, I'd really appreciate it.

1. With the OS upgrade does the 3G have voice control and video or is it strictly the 3G S?

2. Besides speed, what are the other things that make the 3G S better than the 3G? And do the pros out weight the cons (battery life, which I've read is a problem and over heating)?

Cheers,
Penny

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
if you're thinking about getting a 16GB, you might as well pay the $50 more for the 3GS.

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
3GS is the only one with voice stuff, as well as video recording.

The 3G cannot do those afaik.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I'm in the market to upgrade my 1st Gen iPhone to either the 3G or 3G S.
I just want to make sure I make the right decision on what to buy. So I have a few questions if you all would be so kind to answer, I'd really appreciate it.

1. With the OS upgrade does the 3G have voice control and video or is it strictly the 3G S?

2. Besides speed, what are the other things that make the 3G S better than the 3G? And do the pros out weight the cons (battery life, which I've read is a problem and over heating)?

Cheers,
Penny

There are a hundred threads with the same exact title as this one. Instead of writing out a detailed description again, I will give the short answer. Buying the 3G right now doesn't make sense. If you can't afford the extra $100 for the phone then how are you going to pay the $80-120 it costs for the service.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The 'pros' of the 3GS are better than the 3G in every single way.

The only 'cons' I've read about have been defective units and, guess what, you can get a defective 3G just as easily as a defective 3GS. If that happens, just return it.

The ONLY reason I can think of for buying a 3G is if you've been forbidden to spend more than $99 on a cell phone.

Other than that, get the 3GS.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
As soon as you buy any electronic device, it's already "outdated" - so with that being said - go for the 3gs.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
just a 100 dollar difference...

thats like.... going out to the movies with a girl 10 times
thats like.... taking a girl out to eat at a mediocre restaurant 5 times
thats like.... buying a girl a collection of cheesy birthday gifts..

as you can see...spending the 100 on the iphone 3GS is a better use of your money.

EDIT: or if you are a female "penny"...insert boy instead of girl...

PennyPick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Middle of the USA
There are a hundred threads with the same exact title as this one. Instead of writing out a detailed description again, I will give the short answer. Buying the 3G right now doesn't make sense. If you can't afford the extra $100 for the phone then how are you going to pay the $80-120 it costs for the service.

My bad, I searched "3G S" and found people asking for a lot of things, but I just wanted the simply know if buying a 3G would even be something to consider. I was only considering it for price concerns, but the extra money is no biggie.
And I'm on a large plan with family members so my phone cost me a lot less than if I were to have my own plan. Thanks for your concern on my financial well being.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Get the 3GS!

The 3G barely has anything better than the 1st gen (just GPS & 3G basically). The 3GS is tons better than them both!

3G does not have voice control, compass, or video recording. The 3G is slower and less powerful. It's camera isn't nearly as good.

If you get a 3G, you'll probably just wish you got the 3GS.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I don't have a lot of experience with the 3G (I do have a 2G Touch), but one thing I noticed is that it seems like the audio drivers are much better on the 3GS.

I have in-ear noise isolating headphones, and the quality (especially bass response) is entirely dependent on the audio source - no amplification like a lot of those big stereo phones. The 3GS sounds much fuller, can go much louder, and gives me some really kicking bass. It's honestly the best portable music player I have, and I've used nearly every iPod since and including the original.

Not only that, the external speakers are also improved significantly. I would never listen to music playing from the Touch speaker because it was muddled, hollow, and full of static. The 3GS sounds really good when playing without headphones. Not a stereo replacement by any means, but if there's no speakers handy it's a perfectly acceptable way to listen to music. Really only a few steps removed from the built in laptop and iMac speakers.

Used it a few days ago while smoking bones on the beach with some friends - it was loud and very clear.

Not that this is a deal breaker, but it's icing on the cake for an already great phone, and something I don't see mentioned very often. I haven't been disappointed with any single feature on the 3GS yet.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say go for the 3Gs, you're getting a 2 year contract you might as well have the most up to date hardware.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I'm finding the video recording feature to be more useful than I had imagined. And the speed boost of the 3GS is noticeable.

Go 3GS. Definitely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.