Buy a 3GS or wait for a 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MayBuyAnIphone, Jun 24, 2010.

1. MayBuyAnIphone macrumors newbie

Longtime AT&T customer who has been holding off buying an Iphone until the 4s came out. I didn't preorder and now AT&T is saying it will be mid to late July before I can expect to get one shipped. Family is going on vacation in late July so I was hoping to have an Iphone in hand before then so the kids could play games on it while standing in line at the theme parks.

After reading about the technical problems with antenna reception today, I'm thinking of just going ahead and buying a 3GS. Here is my situation so would appreciate an objective recommendation.

I would buy two Iphones for my wife and I. We both use basic cellphones and don't bother with text messages. Our friends with Iphones all say that they used to be in a similar boat, but after buying an Iphone, now they can't live without it. So I assume once I started using one, I would be in a similar situation. I know what the new features of the 4 is, but for someone like me who is a smartphone newb, I'm thinking the 3GS will have all of the features someone like me could ever use.

Since I don't currently have a smartphone with unlimited data plan, my Iphone contract with AT&T will be under their new pricing plan. I am eligible for AT&Ts upgrade pricing so a 3GS would only cost me $99, compared to $199 for a 4.

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The extra $99 is well worth the price of admission to the 4. Hugely better screen, bigger battery, 2x more RAM, faster processor, are just a few of the improvements.

3. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Give it a week to cool down, then decide. Right now there isn't enough solid information to draw a real conclusion. In a week we'll have a better idea of the scope of the problems and you will still have time to pick up a 3GS if that's the route you decide to take.

4. mets1125 macrumors regular

I agree plus I think in a week or 2 you will def be able to walk into an apple store and pick 1 up. I would def go with the 4 over the 3gs.

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

If you are asking that question you should get the 3GS.

6. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

omg I just watched a 720p HD music video on that little monster and believe me....once you see that, you'll never go back...* rime intended* you'll be the center of every party with it