Buy a computer with Lion = transferrable to other computers?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by syan48306, Jul 19, 2011.

1. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

The way I understand this is if I buy an air with Lion preinstalled on the system, I should have accesses to Lion via the app store for that computer; the software attached to my apple account. Assuming it's the same as the the GM, I will have to sign into my apple account to reformat/restore or anything like that.

Does this mean I have access to Lion via the app store for my other MBP's since it's linked to my account or will I still have to purchase a copy of Lion for 30?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Not legally, no. You'll have to buy another copy.

3. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

On the other hand, if you buy Lion, you are allowed to install the software on multiple computers :/

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't think it's been established how Lion will be available for re-install for those who buy Macs with it pre-installed. It may well come on a DVD or USB flash drive. Or you may be able to download it from the App store. It's quite possible that that version may be specific to that model of Mac. There is also talk of there being a separate recovery partition for re-installing. In any case I would be surprised if you could also install it on other Macs.

5. soundguy15 macrumors member

soundguy15

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why "not legally". If you buy it from the Mac AppStore then you are allowed to install it on all the Macs that you own. But I don't know if Lion will show up on the Mac AppStore as purchased when you buy your new Mac or not. We'll have to wait and see.
    -----
    Late post. ^ what they said ;)

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

Unfortunately that's the way it is.