Buy a current Macbook or wait for a new one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alancycling, Aug 23, 2008.

1. alancycling macrumors newbie

Hello everyone:

I am a Taiwanese, I am wondering that whether should I buy a current

Macbook or wait for a new one, the rumors say that there will be new model

on September or later.

In Taiwan, the back to school program (free Ipod touch) due on 9/16 rather

than 10/16 in US, so I am wondering should I buy the current model with

free Ipod touch or wait for a new one.

I don't really in need to buy a Macbook, so I have patient to wait until a

new one, but the question is that a new model worth a Ipod touch?

Looking forward to your suggestoins

2. Heirborn391 macrumors newbie

If it were me, I'd wait and get the newer model Macbook. Plus then you can get the new model of the iPod Touch (assuming that there'll be one).

3. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Wait for a macbook update and an ipod touch update. Of course it will be more costly but you will have the latest and greatest. If you don't like the updates (or like the previous generation better) you can still get a set of them for a good closeout price.

4. jTreu macrumors 6502

if i were you i'd wait since you dont really need it, theres nothing worse than spending on that money only to have it be old tech a week later

5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Ding! Ding! Ding! .... you win for starting the 100,000th thread on this same topic!!

Try...

this one...

or this one.

There are more but you get the idea. :D

6. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

Some retailers offer a 1 month money back, exchange policy. Find a retailer like that, buy your mac with free ipod touch and when the new ones are out you can swap 'em.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You say that you don't really need a MB, and so, to a certain extent, you are really answering your own question. Virtually all of the posts on this thread have advised that you wait, and given that you are prepared to be patient, I'd go along with that advice, too. You'll get the latest in technological advances, whatever extras (iPod Touch, etc that apply in Taiwan), if you wait, along with the educational discount.

The only possible drawback with new models is that there may be "teething" problems, new features/aspects that may suffer from unforeseen glitches, or problems. However, this should not create any real difficulties, as the machine will be covered by warranty, and any such problems will be attended to under the terms of the warranty. Cheers and good luck.