Buy a iPod Classic 80GB now or wait until September?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nived87, Jun 12, 2008.

1. nived87 macrumors newbie

I've been wanting to get a new mp3 player for a while. I currently own a 1GB Philips GoGear. It was fine when got it a few years ago but now I find myself wanting more. I'm a college student so by now I've made some money at my summer job and I'm ready to buy a new mp3 player. I did some research and finally decided to get the iPod Classic 80GB. I was all excited to buy my first iPod when I found the MacRumors Buyers Guide and saw that it said "Don't Buy - Updates Soon". I'm guessing that new iPods will be out in September?

Should I buy my iPod now or wait until September? I'd like one now because I like to listen to music at work and I can't stand my current player anymore. What updates are expected? Will I regret it if I buy one now?

Also, where is a good place to buy an iPod? The Online Apple Store? Are there any discounts availible?

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Updates for the classic will likely be modest, but the only sure thing is that the lowest model will likely use a 120GB single platter hard drive instead of the 80GB, making the upscale model 240GB instead of 160GB. Other than that, nothing's really known. If capacity's an issue then hold off, updates will probably come in Sept/Oct. If they aren't, I don't see much change coming to the line so you could buy now if you wanted to.

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Can MP3 players really improve anymore than the current line of iPods? I wouldn't have thought people would need more than 160GB :confused:

Anyway, I think the biggest change will be the price. With the iPhone now at $99, (and being offered as a PAYG in the UK), I think Apple are going to have to restructure the entire iPod line up prices....just a thought.

4. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

Check out Apple iPod refurbs. The 80GB has a $40 discount, $160 has $50. They come with 1yr warranty. I bought a 60 GB right after the 80G came out and have had no problems

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I could easily cope with a 250gb iPod (not that we're going to get that) to have a mixture of lossless and 320AAC files across my CD collection, which is currently and slowly being reripped in FLAC for archival purposes. When you've got good headphones, it makes a difference.

To the OP: wait until Sept/Oct, I'm sure we'll see updates or a new case design. :)

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Same, the bigger the better. I have easily filled my 160GB two times over.

Can't wait to see what's coming in the next few months.

7. skinaked2 macrumors newbie

I am a college student to, and i also want to buy a classic but i am waiting until the new line comes out, but for me i have a current ****** zune that will get my by and i am getting a free itouch in a matter of a week or so

8. trurome04life macrumors newbie

if you need

Hey, i actually have the 80gb classic and i really love it. Not only is it atractive, the interface is so much better than the previous one I had. I imagine they are going to make some improvements on the next version. They may add a 16:9 screen on the next one, because this one is 4:3. If you think you will be watching a lot of video, I would wait. But if you just use it for the music, the differences might not be too extreme, like more memory. I think 80gb is plenty of room for music, I have like 4500 songs and its not even half full. I am still interested to see what they will do next. Whatever decision you make, trust me you wont be disappointed.