Buy a Mac now or wait till after Tiger

Danzsupreme

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
43
0
I just called the apple store and they said if i purchase an Ibook now that they will send me Tiger for $9.99 once its released. Should i go ahead and do it or wait till tiger comes out and see if the Rev. Ibooks also come out
 

hechacker1

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2005
35
0
UCSD, LA Jolla, CA, USA
I am going to wait... the reason is that if you wait Tiger will be pre-installed on the system, instead of you having to do a upgrade or format of the system again. I don't like upgrades because they tend to leave a lot of old junk behind (at least on most OS, but I've never used macos).

Also, i am hoping they release updates to the videocards because of core Image (so users like me won't complain that we don't get all the benefits of it).
 
Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
At this point I would certainly recommend waiting. Having Tiger pre-installed would be a bonus. My main reason for waiting is that updates are due. Would not want to purchase and then updates in a month or two.
 
Comment

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
If you are not concerned about hardware updates, there's not much reason to wait for Tiger at this point. If you buy a mac now, you can purchase Tiger when it's released for $10.00, which is practically nothing if having your mac now rather than in May means a lot to you.
 
Comment

za9ra22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2003
518
77
One might argue that it's worth buying now BECAUSE Panther will be installed - that way you could get a Tiger update for $9.99 (or if you time the purchase right, for free because it'll be included in the box but not already be pre-installed). That way you can wait until all the early adopters have installed Tiger and report back on it before you decide whether to update or not. If the first round of Tiger installs turn up problems, you can then wait until Apple issue a fix, then install Tiger, download the fix and save yourself all the problems, while not having any time without a working Mac.

Of course if the first reports of Tiger installs are positive, you can go ahead and install it immediately. But at least this way you get the choice!
 
Comment

WolfgangK

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2005
49
0
I am in the same boat...

But I plan to wait until May 1-2 to see if any updates materialize, and make sure I get an iBook with Tiger pre-installed. I'm really hoping for an update to the GPU, but if not, I will still purchase probably. Because this isn't going to be my main machine, I've decided I can live with the 9200 mobility. I will still be able to use iMovie, iDVD, some games, graphic design(mainly flash) and so on.

An update at or around the release of Tiger would be a great bonus though.
 
Comment

jscheiman

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
68
0
Phoenix, Arizona
za9ra22 said:
One might argue that it's worth buying now BECAUSE Panther will be installed - that way you could get a Tiger update for $9.99 (or if you time the purchase right, for free because it'll be included in the box but not already be pre-installed). That way you can wait until all the early adopters have installed Tiger and report back on it before you decide whether to update or not. If the first round of Tiger installs turn up problems, you can then wait until Apple issue a fix, then install Tiger, download the fix and save yourself all the problems, while not having any time without a working Mac.

Of course if the first reports of Tiger installs are positive, you can go ahead and install it immediately. But at least this way you get the choice!
I would second this as well. I am purchasing a new PM next week and so don't mind paying $10 for the DVD. This way I'll have a bug free working Panther but can update to Tiger after it is released and see if there are any immediate issues or bugs that may need patching.

Why delay your excitement for an OS. You could start playing with your new machine now! Just my opinion!
 
Comment

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
2,075
0
Muncie, Indiana
And another point, the disc that comes with the machine with Tiger preinstalled may not work on any other type of Mac, and so is technically worth a little less than the $10 disc you would get later.

The Apple store has a great assortment of refurbs at really good prices right now. I don't know if those would come with the $10 update; it'd be worth asking. They are coming with iLife'05, so I guess they would. You can get an iBook 12" 1.2GHz for $799, or $849 with AE.

You can get a refurb, save money and have the machine right now. A newly-announced machine will cost more, and may take a while to get delivered. And if you wait, the new machines may not be all that much better anyway.
 
Comment

lorenzo

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
38
0
cubist said:
And another point, the disc that comes with the machine with Tiger preinstalled may not work on any other type of Mac, and so is technically worth a little less than the $10 disc you would get later.

The Apple store has a great assortment of refurbs at really good prices right now. I don't know if those would come with the $10 update; it'd be worth asking. They are coming with iLife'05, so I guess they would. You can get an iBook 12" 1.2GHz for $799, or $849 with AE.

You can get a refurb, save money and have the machine right now. A newly-announced machine will cost more, and may take a while to get delivered. And if you wait, the new machines may not be all that much better anyway.

Whats AE?
 
Comment

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
3,809
0
even if the lines aren't updated
its going going to be a few weeks before the machines in the applestore have tiger preinstalled ... longer if they're not updated because they have to sell through their stock .... so think the middle of mayish if no hardware upgrades and probable whenever new machines are available for new machines ... theres a chance your going to wait and have to upgrade anyway.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.