Buy a Mac Pro & Sell Macbook Pro??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ipodrocker, Nov 11, 2008.

1. ipodrocker macrumors member

ipodrocker

HI,

I have been looking at getting a mac pro and i have noticed the need for a desktop rather than a laptop, but at times i have a need for a laptop.

I was thinking i could sell the macbook pro and get the mac pro and then get a macbook refrub

what are peoples thoughts???

2. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

If it suits you, go for it.

Only you can know, though.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

What is this for? The Mac Pro might be overkill for what you're using it for. The iMac may be a better option if you're wanting a desktop.

4. ipodrocker thread starter macrumors member

ipodrocker

i will be using for doing web development which is designing interfaces and doing coding, and could do with using two screens to help control the interface and and have the ability to see the code and front end at the same time.

does the iMac allow dual monitors??

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I haven't done it with mine, but it can. These are the tech-specs from Apple's website (link). This is from under the Graphics and video support section:

Edit: I also found this thread here on MacRumors that can help you with dual monitors on an iMac (link).

6. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Yes. I have a 24" iMac with an external LCD (20") and it works without a problem.

7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I have done web development for years using nothing but a laptop and external monitor. The new Macbook Pro and ACD with it's quick connect would work great for you. You would use the screen on your laptop for coding and the ACD for everything else. That's the way I did it when I was heavily into Flash development.

I've since bought a MacPro to do video editing, but I don't like being chained to the desktop. I'm thinking of selling and getting the new Macbook Pro because the laptops are powerful enough to do practically anything.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ same. I'm a 15 year old programmer, just beginning in Java and moderate experience in C++/C. I use a MB + a 24" Samsung. Works well. Mac Pro can support two displays, with two graphic cards. iMac, same thing. One is the built in LCD panel and the second one is through the dvi output.

9. ipodrocker thread starter macrumors member

ipodrocker

what would you recommend? My thinking is keep the macbook pro and get a ACD 23'' so i could go dual screen or just use the big screen with the laptop working with the lid closed.

Could i ask do many people have the ACD as i would love one and like to know are they worth the extra cash??