Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
3,136
1,155
Impossible question to answer. All I am asking is what would YOU do?

Looking to buy a M1 Max Studio (64GB/1TB)

I can buy one next week or wait for the rumored release of the M2 models.

There is lots of speculation that a new Studio could surface with the announcement of the new MacBook Pros in February or March. Only 2-3 months away.

Hopefully there won't be an increase in price for similar specs (outside of the silicon chip upgrade)

If you guys are expecting prices to increase perhaps it's better to save money and buy the M1 variant now.
 

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
3,136
1,155
I am waiting before deciding. If not much performance jump, will hope the M1 Max studios will drop in price.

Been watching the price drops. B&H has $100 off the base model. Adorama $200 off the 64GB/1TB (with APINSIDER code)

I have seen the base model go down as much as $200. That may be the best we can expect unless the release of an M2 is imminent.
 

Fawkesguyy

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
32
42
If you can wait, wait, if you need it now, buy. That simple.

It will likely be a couple of months before it will be upgraded, and likely the GPU is the only side that will get a major boost.

Agreed. I just bought a Studio Max 32GPU/64GB/1TB from B&H last week, and I absolutely love it. I'm not going to chase "what's next". I'll keep it until it can't run what I need it to run (hard to imagine) or it no longer receives updates from Apple. It's a killer machine. The next Studio will not make mine less killer. 😊
 

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
3,136
1,155
So basically, the M2 is not going to offer any significant performance enhancement over the M1 that a possible 3-month wait is worth it?
 

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
3,136
1,155
"Worth it" is only something you can determine. If your current work is such that it would max out/stress the current Mac Studios, then 1) color me impressed; and 2) it's probably worth waiting.

It's really more about future-proofing than anything else. In a way, trying to prevent the buy of a new STUDIO today and the M2 gets released in February or March. Plus, it's rumored to be a Midnight color.

So, I have an additional question for you...

When you bought your STUDIO from B&H was there a sale where you paid under Apple price?

I applied for the PAYBOO card which will save me well over $100 in taxes but unfortunately, I am sitting here for what might be a lengthy wait to actually get the card in my hand which is why I haven't purchased from them yet. However, that's the retailer I'm looking to buy from.
 
  • Like
Reactions: thatguyshan

Fawkesguyy

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
32
42
No such thing as "future proofing", in my opinion. There will ALWAYS be something new and "better" around the corner. Three months, six months, a year, whatever. In your original post, you said "I can buy one next week or wait for the rumored release of the M2 models.". So, if you can wait, that means there is no immediate need for a Mac Studio RIGHT THIS MOMENT. So, wait. There is certainly no harm in waiting.

As for B&H, I paid $2799, which is the same as the Apple price. I just paid with my Apple Card, wasn't interested in opening another credit account just to avoid paying tax. In the grand scheme of things, and considering how long I will own this machine, paying sales tax just wasn't an issue for me.
 

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
6,359
7,247
Denmark
So basically, the M2 is not going to offer any significant performance enhancement over the M1 that a possible 3-month wait is worth it?
3 months is a small wait if you ask me. But you don't know if that will be 3 days, or 1 year. I always wait for the latest model, just in case, but I almost never need it 'now'.
 

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
1,070
1,694
Indiana
The base M2 has negligible performance gains over the base M1 - likely that the M2 Pro/Max/Ultra will be similarly negligible.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Juuro

JoeDezibel

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2021
69
238
The first question you should answer is, what do I need? If you wait for the Mac with the best performance you will wait forever.
What performance do I need today and will it last the next few years? If yes, go and buy it. If no, wait 🙂. That’s what I always do.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Fawkesguyy

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
295
359
No such thing as "future proofing", in my opinion. There will ALWAYS be something new and "better" around the corner.

Fair point, but its not really how I conceive of "future proofing." It isn't to ensure that your computer will continue to have the "best" specs. To me it means that I might buy more than I need now to ensure it will do what I need it to 5+ years down the road. I think that is a thing that exists, while agreeing that by your definition, "future proofing" is indeed fiction.
 

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
555
407
Indiana
I'm in the exact same boat as OP. I've waffled back and forth but like everyone said buy if you need it now, wait if you don't. I'm begrudgingly waiting, as my MBP is doing a fantastic job of keeping up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mr_jomo

tubuliferous

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
77
81
Hmm…we’ll see! If the 3-nanometer manufacturing process makes it into the next Studio, perhaps that shift will translate to a major bump in performance.

Can more knowledgable folks comment? Would 3 nm transistors likely mean major performance improvements? One can imagine better heat dynamics with a smaller process, allowing for more transistors per core or a greater number of GPU and/or CPU cores (vs. M2s produced with larger transistors). What do the tech heads say?
 

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
1,478
1,192
I say wait until you can’t wait anymore. After the M2 is the M3, etc. if your current hardware supports your needs, then keep using it. I finally buckled and got an M1 Max MBP, I would have preferred to wait even longer but 🤷‍♀️ I needed it now. My old
machine simply couldn’t cut it any more. If you need something now, then get it. If not, no one ever suffered by waiting a little longer.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Fawkesguyy

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
3,414
8,096
Impossible question to answer. All I am asking is what would YOU do?

Looking to buy a M1 Max Studio (64GB/1TB)

I can buy one next week or wait for the rumored release of the M2 models.

There is lots of speculation that a new Studio could surface with the announcement of the new MacBook Pros in February or March. Only 2-3 months away.

Hopefully there won't be an increase in price for similar specs (outside of the silicon chip upgrade)

If you guys are expecting prices to increase perhaps it's better to save money and buy the M1 variant now.

If you need a computer now, then get it now. If you don't, then wait. Simple as.
 

Fawkesguyy

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
32
42
Fair point, but its not really how I conceive of "future proofing." It isn't to ensure that your computer will continue to have the "best" specs. To me it means that I might buy more than I need now to ensure it will do what I need it to 5+ years down the road. I think that is a thing that exists, while agreeing that by your definition, "future proofing" is indeed fiction.

Yep. Especially what I bolded (and underlined) from your post. What I purchased is total overkill for my needs, and will likely remain overkill until it is no longer supported.
 
  • Like
Reactions: aurora_sect

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
10,395
27,241
SoCal
I bought a M1 Max 64GB 4TB from B&H yesterday, they gave me a slight (2%) discount and I applied for the pay boo card and am saving on taxes, together with a $100 discounted Studio mo nitro (height adjustable) I saved ~$650 over ordering from Apple, display here today, Mac tomorrow, really excited about this, will be replacing my 2017 27 iMac
 

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
10,395
27,241
SoCal
I applied for the PAYBOO card which will save me well over $100 in taxes but unfortunately, I am sitting here for what might be a lengthy wait to actually get the card in my hand which is why I haven't purchased from them yet. However, that's the retailer I'm looking to buy from.
I applied and purchased yesterday, put items in a shopping cart which will give you a unique # and then call them, they'll take that newly created card by calling the bank to get the # ...
 

tis100

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2022
51
92
Summary
-----------

If you really need a Mac Studio, I would get it now, especially if your workload is not GPU bound.

If you can wait until June, then wait.

Pricing
-------

I suspect the price of the M2 Mac Studio will be the same as the M1 Mac Studio because there isn't going to be a design refresh.

The Macbook Pro 13" was updated to the M2 processor this past June and it kept the same price as its predecessor.

However, the Macbook Air did increase in price because there was a design refresh.

Release Date
---------------

You mention speculation that the M2 Mac Studio may come out in February or March.

I believe it is more likely that the new Mac Studio comes out during WWDC in June, which is 6 months away.

Apple has said that their target for upgrades is around 18 months, but if the the new Mac Studio comes out in February/March, it will only be 11/12 months since the previous model came out, which is too short of a lifespan.

Also, if Apple releases all the M2 Pro/Max/Ultra models in February/March, what will they talk about during WWDC?

Performance
--------------

The performance of the M2 Mac Studio will be dependent on the fabrication node Apple has decided to go with on the M2 Pro/Max/Ultra processors.

If we take the Apple A processors as a reference for performance uplift between node generations, then we can apply that knowledge to make an educated guess at the expected performance uplift of Apple M processors between versions.


ProcessorNodeSingle Core (Geekbench)Multi Core (Geekbench)Metal (Geekbench)Single Core (%Change)Multi Core (%Change)Metal (%Change)
A14TSMC N5157638779175
A15TSMC N5P17054662142558%20%55%
A16TSMC N4187453821538810%15%8%
N5 to N4 (%Change)19%39%68%

ProcessorNodeSingle Core (Geekbench)Multi Core (Geekbench)Metal (Geekbench)Single Core (%Change)Multi Core (%Change)Metal (%Change)
M1TSMC N51706742020440
M2TSMC N5P892889283062712%20%50%

The current M1 Max/Ultra processors used in the M1 Mac Studio are based on TSMC N5.

If the M2 Mac Studio is based on TSMC N5P like the Macbook Air and 13" Macbook Pro, then expect around 10% single core, 20% multi-core and 50% metal uplift from the current generation.

If the M2 Mac Studio is based on TSMC N4, then expect around 20% single core, 40% multi-core and 70% metal uplift from the current generation.

And if the M2 Mac Studio is based on TSMC N3, then expect around 30% single core, 60% multi-core and 133% metal uplift from the current generation.

I'm thinking the M2 Mac Studio will more likely be TSMC N4, but it is possible to be TSMC N3.

For me, jumping to N3 is too much of a performance leap, but if Apple does go with it -- wow!

It would mean that the M2 Max GPU would be about around the speed of the AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT and the M2 Ultra GPU would be 32% faster than the AMD Radeon Pro W6900X in the 2019 Mac Pro.

Otherwise, if Apple uses TSMC N4, then the M2 Max GPU would be about the same speed as the AMD Radeon Pro Vega II and the M2 Ultra GPU would be around the same speed as the AMD Radeon Pro W6900X in the 2019 Mac Pro.
 
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.