Buy a mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dmsee, Dec 30, 2007.

1. dmsee macrumors member

I am looking to spend some big bucks on a laptop. I thought about getting a Macbook Pro. I have a few questions tho. First of all, will 2.2 2.4 or 2.6 Ghz processors, will I see a difference? Second of all, are they really reliable? Anything I should watch out for if I buy outside of apple.com. Are games will work on it? And final question about video cards. Which one is the best and 128 or 256mb? Why are macbooks pro are so expensive?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Do not get a macbook pro until after January 15th (the expo). They're probably going to release new ones around then.

3. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

MBP's are expensive because everything Apple is expensive and people are willing to drop money for their products.

4. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Translation: Because they are worth it in the opinion of the purchasers.

5. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

For regular use: non heavy video-editing or rendering, the lowest processor frequency will do fine. The high end always have a premium price that would be better spent otherwise (read 4Gb of RAM)
    The video memory will be useful in two major cases: when you use several screens, and with games.

6. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Further translation: because there's a difference between cost and value.

7. jwt macrumors 6502

Alternate Further Translation: Because the alternative to running Windows is to pay whatever Apple asks.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No. You can run various versions of linux / unix, you can start writing your own OS, etc.

But for those people whose time is worth money, (i.e. those who have a job),
    paying the proper amount for a tool that saves time, and aggravation is the smart thing to do.

Just because you CANNOT afford it and WANT something doesn't mean it's over priced.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Back to topic:

YOU SHOULD WAIT UNTIL MACWORLD Jan 15, 2008 and see what happens.

> 2.2 2.4 or 2.6 Ghz processors, will I see a difference?
    Depends on what you do. If it's web browsing and email checking, no. If it's processor demanding, yes.

> Second of all, are they really reliable?
    My experience is that they are more reliable than PCs in term of software / hardware combination.

> Anything I should watch out for if I buy outside of apple.com.
    See if the merchant is reputable. Make sure it has Apple original 1 year warranty.

> Are games will work on it?
    Yes. Plenty of games are available on the mac side. You can also run windows games too.

> And final question about video cards. Which one is the best and 128 or 256mb?
    I would get the 256mb if games are important.

> Why are macbooks pro are so expensive?
    Because it's worth it if you need it.

10. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

No, don't buy a Mac.

jk, buy one. But everybody is right. Wait until after Jan 15th. Don't buy a Mac until after The Steve has spoken. He will guide your way. Listen to him for he wise.

The Stig