Buy a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro Computer Science Undergraduate

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theeliteps3, Dec 20, 2014.

1. theeliteps3 macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I am either looking to buy a new Macbook Pro or Macbook Air, but alot of people tell me as a computer science student its not a good idea to get a Macbook Air since its a bit low powered. I just saw some great pricing on Macbook Air's at Best Buy so I was thinking that would be good.

Currently my Lenovo Yoga with 4gb ram and i5 processor is ok but can be laggy at times(maybe from viruses idk).

I also heard that a new Macbook Air is coming out soon and was wondering if it is worth waiting for. I heard they have a M core processor, but those processors aren't the best in performance either.

Again I am a student so I am trying to look to save money. Ideally this is a computer I want to use at least 2-3 years so Apple is the way to go, but I am not sure about the model.

2. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

As a student you will love the battery life of the Air. I have a 2013 Air 13", 4/128 and it runs all day. Unless you are going to be doing heavy video editing, I don't think you will see any "lag". You didn't mention what kind of use you plan for your laptop but I think you won't be disappointed in an Air.

3. theeliteps3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably wont be doing any video editting. The program requires softwares like eclipse and sql developer but nothing else. So would you say waiting for the 12 inch macbook air model would be stupid? I heard the core m processor isnt very good

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Taking into account all the information provided (what you need for, financial resources) MacBook Air will suit your needs very well. Being a student do not forget the portability aspect as well. MBAs are better in this regard.

5. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

If I needed a Macbook, I would not wait on something that is just a rumor at this point. I have not heard anything from Apple about the new 12 inch Air. The rumors do say though that the Core M processor has been dropped from consideration in the rumored Retina Macbook Air. If this device does come out, I doubt it will have the battery life of the current Airs, because of the power need for the Retina Display.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

As a programmer, you will want to get the 13" model over the 11" model MacBook Air. I would get one with 8 GB of RAM to future proof it and allow you more resources for simulators if necessary.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Go with the pro

Better CPU and GPU, better connectivity, only 1/2 pound heavier, actually a smaller footprint. More important than all this is the screen, it's brilliant and not just for movies and photos, text looks fantastic, it reduces eye strain, glare is minimal and viewing angles are great. If I was buying for university I'd buy for this reason alone.

They all come with 8GB so no worries there on futureproofing.

8. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

I'm going to say that the air will be best for your stated needs. I really think portability and weight comes into play also as I have multiple times not even realized I had my air in my bag because it was so light. As of this morning, it is sounding more solid that the new macbook with be out in the early part of 2015. If you don't need something until maybe April or May, then waiting on it may not be a bad idea, but a new computer means one very important thing, it will cost more. If a few hundred dollars is a big deal for you (and I'm going to assume that it is based on what you said), then I would suggest looking over the next few days/weeks and getting the current model air at a good price instead of waiting.

9. theeliteps3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm alright these are very compelling reasons to go with a macbook air. So I was looking at B and H and they have some really good deals. Can someone tell me if I am getting a good deal on the ones I am considering and if they are up to date.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ook_pro_i7_2_8ghz_8gb_512ssd_13_3_retina.html

MBP-- 512 ssd and i7 Processor ( Late 2013 model) - 1449
    idk if its a big deal if its late 2013 or not

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1047473-REG/apple_md760ll_b_13_3_macbook_air_notebook.html

MBA - Standard config with 4gb ram 128 gb ssd - 879

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_dual_core_i5_1_4g_8gb_128ssd_5000_13_3.html

MBA - 8gb ram and 128 gb ssd - 1059

All I really want is the best deal possible. Like I am looking more at percentage of savings. Would buying from the education store at apple be better? I figure this is good because I pay no tax or shipping since it is out of state.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would get the Retina if you can afford it due to the fantastic screen and large storage. If not, get a MacBook Air with 8 GB of RAM.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That pro

is a just about the best 13 inch configuration out there, no worries that it's 2013 spec the .2GHZ speed difference will mean nothing to you....