Buy a Macbook...Or should I wait?

GreekMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
14
0
London
I currently own a Powerbook at 1.67ghz, but lately every time I see the spinning rainbow and my cpu monitor go to 100%. Then I begin to contemplate buying myself one of the new ones.
What do you think should I be patient and wait for something better?
 

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
1,494
1
GreekMac said:
I currently own a Powerbook at 1.67ghz, but lately every time I see the spinning rainbow and my cpu monitor go to 100%. Then I begin to contemplate buying myself one of the new ones.
What do you think should I be patient and wait for something better?

Dude..there are lots of threads already on this topic and i am sick of seeing them....learn to use the search function before you make a thread please!!!:rolleyes:
 

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
250
5
Colorado
GreekMac said:
I currently own a Powerbook at 1.67ghz, but lately every time I see the spinning rainbow and my cpu monitor go to 100%. Then I begin to contemplate buying myself one of the new ones.
What do you think should I be patient and wait for something better?
I was in your shoes. I had a 1.67ghz powerbook and I got a macbook. Number one I love having a bright screen that I don't say "gee... this screen seems kinda dark" all the time. Just for this reason it is a worth while upgrade. Since getting the MacBook I keep saying "gosh, I love this computer, it's perfect!" I forked over the extra cash for the Black... I like it... over all it seems more grown up then the white version... dare I say more grown up then the silver Powerbook/MB Pro. I'm listing my PowerBook on ebay with no regrets at all! The only thing I would say is max out the ram... makes big difference in rosetta apps... Since doing so I notice to wait or dreadded beach ball at all! Even photoshop acts the way it should!
 

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
1,855
1
Australia
I replaced my 12" 1.5Ghz Powerbook with a white 2Ghz MacBook and I'm very happy. I installed 2GB of ram and it flies.

The screen is much better, it boots and runs apps better, it looks great. I say get it now you won't regret it.
 

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
1,404
1
oldnavy1918 said:
Dude..there are lots of threads already on this topic and i am sick of seeing them....learn to use the search function before you make a thread please!!!:rolleyes:


ROFL.... you joined two days ago and you are already sick of them? lol
 

GreekMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
14
0
London
arcobb said:
I was in your shoes. I had a 1.67ghz powerbook and I got a macbook. Number one I love having a bright screen that I don't say "gee... this screen seems kinda dark" all the time. Just for this reason it is a worth while upgrade. Since getting the MacBook I keep saying "gosh, I love this computer, it's perfect!" I forked over the extra cash for the Black... I like it... over all it seems more
I think I'll try and max out the ram, and see what happens before I cough up the cash for a Macbook
Thanks for the tip...
 

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
1,494
1
wako said:
ROFL.... you joined two days ago and you are already sick of them? lol

Hahah yup..thats right....its just that you see them soo much when you look through the threads.....Macbook upgrades soon? When are the macbook upgrades? Should i wait for the macbooks upgrade?
Plus many more...

im sorry but thats just to much:( :D
 

GreekMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
14
0
London
oldnavy1918 said:
Hahah yup..thats right....its just that you see them soo much when you look through the threads.....Macbook upgrades soon? When are the macbook upgrades?( :D
Hey "dude" quit making fun of my thread :p. I'm having enough problems dealing with this already :(...
And I do know how to use the search function...I just wanted my thread on the first page...

Peacefully GreekMac..
 

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
250
5
Colorado
GreekMac said:
I think I'll try and max out the ram, and see what happens before I cough up the cash for a Macbook
Thanks for the tip...
No Problem GreekMac. I got my memory from Omni Technologies. They were the cheapest I found... but that is not the reason I purchased from them. When I called them I talked to a real person right off the bat and they were super helpful and they have a good return policy. The link I provided says it is ram for the MBP, but the MB used the same stuff.

So far the memory I've installed is working without a glitch. The only thing is when you install it you have to push it in really, really hard to make it click in, the guy on the phone said they were finding this was the case for most people. I cost me about $155 to max out the memory... a far cry from the $500 apple is charging (highway robbery!). Hope this helps!
 

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
1,218
0
Reston, VA
I have a 12" 1.33GHz 12" powerbook, and I was actually in line at the apple store to get the new macbook. I had been debating on whether or not to wait until the merom processor comes out. Well, the line was too long and it made me think twice. I don't NEED a new computer right now, I just want one. Yea, this computer is kinda sluggish, but i have 512MB of RAM of it. Why should I add more money into it knowing that in a couple months I'll be buying a new computer anyway. So, I'm sticking with my current computer.

Besides, I'd rather wait until Leopard comes with it and save myself $130 anyways. This'll let apple debug the 1st gen bugs. Plus, the merom processor is supposed to be badass!!!
 

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
i'm with most of the others. i have a 1.67 ghz, 1 gb ram PB and when the new intels came out, i *very* much wanted to sell this and get a new one..buuuut, i finally realized that would be silly because 1) i don't want a rev a product, 2) merom will be out soon enough, 3) i don't actually *need* the new laptop, 4) photoshop will run faster on this than on the new intels until CS3 comes out anyway, and 5) want to wait for leopard.

i think you should save your money and be patient - you certainly don't need a new laptop yet, so give it 6 months/year and see what's out then.. i bet you'll be glad you did! :)
 

GreekMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
14
0
London
arcobb said:
No Problem GreekMac. I got my memory from Omni Technologies. They were the cheapest I found... but that is not the reason I purchased from them. When I called them I talked to a real person right off the bat and they were super helpful and they have a good return policy. The link I provided says it is ram for
I checked out omni teechnologies and they look trust worthy to me,
i think i'll try them out arcobb.
Thanks ;)
 

GreekMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
14
0
London
xfiftyfour said:
i'm with most of the others. i have a 1.67 ghz, 1 gb ram PB and when the new intels came out, i *very* much wanted to sell this and get a new one..buuuut, i finally realized that would be silly because 1) i don't want a rev a product, 2) merom will be out soon enough, 3) i don't actually *need* the new laptop, 4) photoshop will run faster on this than on the new intels until CS3 comes out anyway, and 5) want to wait for leopard
You're absolutely right!
I am going to wait..but in the mean time I'm just going to upgrade my RAM..
Thanks xfiftyfour ;)
 

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
250
5
Colorado
xfiftyfour said:
i'm with most of the others. i have a 1.67 ghz, 1 gb ram PB and when the new intels came out, i *very* much wanted to sell this and get a new one..buuuut, i finally realized that would be silly because 1) i don't want a rev a product, 2) merom will be out soon enough, 3) i don't actually *need* the new laptop, 4) photoshop will run faster on this than on the new intels until CS3 comes out anyway, and 5) want to wait for leopard.

i think you should save your money and be patient - you certainly don't need a new laptop yet, so give it 6 months/year and see what's out then.. i bet you'll be glad you did! :)
Those were my thoughts initially... and I'm sure apple will have something cool out in 6 months... but I always hated my old laptop. Right now the MacBook is my only computer. I am saving up for a Desktop... for that I'm waiting until bluray hits the Imac... by the time that happens I'm sure apple will have some übber cool computers out. Until then the MacBook is the best Mac I've ever owned. I'm way happy and for me worth the getting the Rev A version. The Core Duo is a galatic leap ahead of the G4 and some argue the G5. I guess in my mind the MacBook is a Rev B to the MacBook Pro... To date I have not experiance any of the issue with it (I also ordered it with a BTO 100 gig harddrive so it came from the factory. I wonder if mine has had some of the issues already fixed? Crossing fingers ;) ) Anyway I'm off to enjoy some sun!
 

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
2,663
0
Ann Arbor, Michigan
GreekMac said:
I currently own a Powerbook at 1.67ghz, but lately every time I see the spinning rainbow and my cpu monitor go to 100%. Then I begin to contemplate buying myself one of the new ones.
What do you think should I be patient and wait for something better?
I will give the standard advice for this.
If you need a computer buy it, if you can wait then wait.
 

qool

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2006
17
0
Alpha Centauri
skubish said:
I will give the standard advice for this.
If you need a computer buy it, if you can wait then wait.
I second to that. Also, if you can't stop thinking about it, just get it!
I did, and I love it!! :D