Buy a MacBook Pro Advice. First Mac.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ashley1496, Jan 20, 2010.

1. ashley1496 macrumors regular

So I've been waiting for ages to get my first Mac. The time has (almost) come (about a month) and I'm researching and debating on what to get. My initial reaction was the 13 inch MacBook Pro. I'm mainly going to be using it for email/internet and heavy itunes use (I have an iPhone 3G, several iPods and a pretty hefty music and video library). I don't really play any games much so that isn't a concern. I went into the apple store today and after looking at the 13 inch it felt too small. I have a 13 inch Dell laptop (that is the spawn of satan) and the MacBook actually feels smaller than it. So I sort of fell in love with the 15 inch. However the base 15 inch with almost exactly the same specs is quite a bit much. Is it worth it?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd strongly suggest waiting another week before you make your decision. As there is an Apple Event where the mobile line of computers may receive an update.

3. Cboss macrumors 6502

Only you can decide if the extra 2" is worth the extra money. If you're happy with the screen size of your current laptop I would suggest getting the 13" and using the extra money to get a larger hard drive for all of your music if you need it. The 13" might seem smaller just because it is next to 15", 17" and even 27" computers.

But, if you really want the larger screen (and can afford it) then go for it. Extra screen space is always a good thing to have.

Edit: As mentioned above, new MacBooks should be released in the next month or so. If you wait until this happens you will have two options:

1. Get a newly updated MacBook
    2. Buy one of the current 15" MacBooks on clearance and be able to get a larger screen for the same price as a 13" MacBook

Any of Apple's current Macs will be much more than enough for just internet and music, so unless Apple releases so new amazing feature you absolutely must have, the 2nd option might be a good choice for you.

4. RudyGrow macrumors regular

I was in the same situation as you. I opted for the 13 inch model, because the 15 inch isnt as portable and who needs the extra 2 inches?

I also find that the screen size doesnt make a difference; its how big you make your icons and dashboard.

If you really want the 15 inch, the refurb store has it for $1,299 every now and then.

5. cmaier macrumors G3

I have a 17", find it very portable, and feel like using anything smaller is like looking at a screen through a tunnel - the loss of resolution makes it impossible to work on documents without constant scrolling, and completely annoying to work on two documents at once.

6. dankybear macrumors regular

the 17" is portable considering a 17" computer, there aren't any other ones more portable than the macbook pro...

7. dankybear macrumors regular

the 15" is a huge difference for me... i just wish they would make the 13" in a 1440x900 resolution... and honestly i don't feel like im losing much portability

8. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

9. ashley1496 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input! I do know about the Apple event and wasn't planning on buying yet--I'm interested to see what's coming. If they announce MacBook Pro refreshes will the current Pros go down in price when the new ones arrive or immediately after the announcement?

Also, I work in a University and I believe I qualify for the education discount. What documentation do the ask for?

Either way, I'm sure I'll love my purchase. I'm definetly in the market for a new laptop so I probably won't get the new tablet (if it comes). But am interested to hear about whatever they've been working on.

Do you think they'll announce new iPhones now or at a later event? I have the 3G didn't feel like the 3GS was a big enough upgrade but Im ready for a new one this summer.

10. cmaier macrumors G3

apple asks for no documentation for the education discount.

11. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

You postulate an excellent question, Ashley! Our needs are quite similar; I mainly use my 13" MBP for iTunes and internet. However, I've had no complaints about the 13" display. Also, in the event I want to watch a movie, I hook my MBP to an external monitor. I highly suggest that you go the 13" route; you'll save some money (which you could use for upgrades) and you'll have the same specs.

Good luck and don't forget AppleCare!

Habitus :apple: