Buy a macbook pro from newegg?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shivpaul, May 5, 2009.

1. shivpaul macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I need to advice.
    I'm currently thinking of purchasing a macbook pro 17" unibody and was wondering if it would be better to purchase it through newegg (free shipping + no taxes) or at an apple store?

Has anyone ever purchased a macbook from newegg before? And if I do have any problems with the laptop, can i then just go into an apple store to have the problem rectified?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're still covered in an Apple Store for warranty purposes after whatever return policy expires from NewEgg. Give Amazon.com or MacMall a look as well.

Maybe even a refurbished Mac to save some more. Calculate taxes vs. your discount though.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Here's a Mac pricing guide from AppleInsider that's really helpful. It compares all the prices of Macs and all the websites are legit and reliable.

Edit: It doesn't look like Newegg is on the guide, but this gives you a good place to compare the cheapest prices.

4. hak187 macrumors member

I didn't buy my macbook from Newegg, but I did buy all the components that I used to build my other pc, as well as tons of other stuff. Never had a problem with them.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's a great guide. I'll be bookmarking it. Thanks

6. shivpaul thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys, I've also purchased alot of items from newegg, so thats why i'm considering them. Saving a couple hundred bucks is also a plus lol

7. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Best part - no tax, at least in this state (NY)

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Get it from directly from Amazon. They have a good price, no rebate necessary, no tax(in most states), free shipping.

9. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

shipping time on a mbp 17 from amazon is 1-2 months.

10. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Great find! I just bookmarked that.

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I was going to buy from a vendor but either I use the EDU discount so that I can get CS4 Web Premium cheap or buy from a vendor and pay the difference of what I saved on CS4 so it's almost moot for me.
    I will say that for anyone in NY (it was in another thread) MacMall is charging tax to NY even though they do not have a distribution center here, kinda odd but whatever…

Good luck shopping and that is a great link!

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...the link is good but a little out of date as they still list the 2.1 whitebook as the low model...