Buy a MBA or wait for the retina display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Wise Potato, Dec 3, 2014.

  1. Wise Potato macrumors newbie

    Jan 20, 2013
    Last time I bought a laptop (hp pavilion with core 2 duo), a full hd version with i5/i7 processors was released 2 weeks later for a lesser price lol, i was more upset because I was saving up for months to buy that thing, don't want to make the same mistake again :rolleyes:

    I decided to switch to Mac and I want to buy the 1000$ 13-inch air but I'm ready to pay up to 1200 for the retina display version if it comes out in the next 2-3 months, otherwise I will just buy the regular air

    Do you expect it to come out soon? and do you think it will cost much?

    And thanks
  2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040


    Feb 21, 2012
    New Jersey Pine Barrens
    If you can wait, then wait. If not, buy now. Nobody on this forum has any real information on when an update is coming, but you will get plenty of "opinions". Have you see this?

    New models featuring radically different designs (like an ultra thin fanless retina MBA) sometimes have issues. So you have to weigh those potential issues vs the frustration of buying a model that is updated a few months later.
  3. jdphoto macrumors 6502


    Jan 13, 2014
    I agree with this. At this point in the product cycle I'd wait if you can. If not the current offerings are solid and should give you a good experience (Typing this on 2013 13" Macbook Air :) )
  4. Serban Suspended

    Jan 8, 2013
    Macbook Air retina will rule the ultrabooks segment
  5. Arkangil macrumors regular

    Jan 5, 2009
    I just picked up a pair of Air's off the refurb site. $1489 (cdn) for i7, 8gig RAM, and 512 flash drive. Great deal. And even if a retina or new design comes out, these will still have a decent resale value in the event I really really want to upgrade.

    But I agree with the previous poster. There will always be something new around the corner. Buy when you need it. The next model will always be better, so you could wait forever.
  6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040


    Feb 21, 2012
    New Jersey Pine Barrens
    I also have the i7/8gb/512gb 11" MBA. Hands down, it's the best computer I've ever owned (and my first was an Apple ][ in 1978). I don't care about the rumored retina MBA, I am happy with what I've got. And I'm skeptical about something with no fan. ;)
  7. mripadmini macrumors regular


    Aug 24, 2013
    i would get the current one know and by the 2nd or 3rd gen of this rumored retina one the kinks should be worked out
  8. Enkidu24 macrumors newbie

    Sep 11, 2012
    It is a reallly hard decision. The next generation will be awesome but the actual one it´s also amazing.
  9. andycho7 macrumors member

    Dec 2, 2013
    Honestly if you need it now, I'd say just buy it now. There are so many great deals on MBAs lately or even a refurb model from apple online store. I recently damaged my 11inch MBA and had to get a new one but there was a brand new one from ebay seller (blutek?) for sale at 750 with no tax. Though it is the 2013 model with 1.3 i5 but the performance difference between that one and the newest one (1.3 vs 1.4) is negligible. It's the matter of you going budget or having the latest one.
  10. Orr macrumors 6502


    Oct 8, 2013
    The current one is an incredibly refined and polished product. First generation tech in general is problematic. It's always exciting to have the newest and most cutting edge thing out there, but smart money waits until refinements have been made in subsequent editions.
  11. capathy21 macrumors 65816


    Jun 16, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    Buy now. As others have stated the new retina MBA will most likely have issues that you won't want to mess with. The retina pro is 2 years old and is still having issues related to retina.
  12. twingo macrumors regular

    Jul 3, 2009
    No issues with the retina pro so far. Its the better machine.
  13. mscice macrumors 6502

    Aug 9, 2009
    if you want LONG battery 16+ hours? get the 2013 refurbished model ...

    The new 2014 models dont get max battery ... compared to 2013 ..

    Also when retina comes out i doubt it will match with battery life of the 2013 model ...

    IF apple managed to get same battery life and with a retina id be surprised.. also its rumored that it will be 12"
  14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus


    Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I just picked one up (13" mid-2013, base model) for Christmas for my SO. It literally arrived yesterday, but so far my impression is really positive. I bought a 2013 rMBP for myself, also - there really is minimal difference performance-wise for both, 2013 vs. 2014.

    Plus a used base 2013 13" MBA ... I got my SO's for $730 (it's a little bit more off the refurb store) - it's really a great deal.

Share This Page