buy a mbp now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Nov 27, 2010.

?

buy mbp

  1. buy now

    40 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. wait for update

    42 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. buy new air its the future of macbooks

    9 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

    rkaufmann87

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    Location:
    Folsom, CA
    #2
  2. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #3
    no i read a rumor that 2013 will not come.. see what is going to happen is in 2012 Apple will design a superior laptop, yet the costs are horrid.. you will loose the backlit keyboard, the apple logo that lights up, even the sleep indicator.. the OD will go bye-bye.. but if you can till 2015 or even 2020- that's when the technology will BOOM! (not crash but expand):D
    * lol! im just having fun..*

    now for the serious part...
    like the above poster said- you need ya buy it, if not. wait.. its the same message every single macrumor member will give.. but the technology will definately- no more C2D, perhaps OD, maybe LightPeak, who knows!!

    i was gonna buy it now, but i decided to wait, another 6 months won't kill me and i certainly DO NOT NEED it..
    :D:eek::):apple::p
    go smileys!
     
  3. miata, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

    miata macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2010
    Location:
    Silicon Valley, Earth
    #4
    It really depends on what you need and how bad your current situation is. If the MBA meets your needs then you should get one now.

    If the MBP meets your needs and you don't want to wait then you should get one now.

    Me. I have a 15" MBP that is close to 3 years old I was stuck between an ultimate MBA 13, MBP 13 and MBP 15. I decided that the MBAs don't have the performance and expandability that I need. The MBP 13 doesn't have enough screen screen resolution -- it would be a downgrade from my current system. And the MBP 15" is just too big and heavy for my next computer.

    I've decided to wait for a MBP 13 with at least a screen resolution upgrade. In the mean time I've been considering an SSD upgrade for my current system for a little boost while I wait.
     
  4. Alvi macrumors 65816

    Alvi

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2008
    Location:
    Mars
    #5
    Don't buy any, I would really wait for OSX Lion, of course, buy one if you need it, but if your stuff works wait till summer
     
  5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

    AdamRock

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto
    #6
    wait till jan-feb, if they don't release an update by then...wait another 3 months.
     
  6. US Marine macrumors member

    US Marine

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2010
    Location:
    Charleston, SC
    #7
    I just bought one, and I definitely don't regret it! It is my first Mac, however, and my other laptop (Asus G50VT-A1) is too big and heavy (and has too little battery life) to really be considered portable, so I guess you could say I really needed it! If I had already owned a MBP that was less than a couple years old, however, I would wait until the refresh.
     
  7. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #8
    Since you provided no information, buy it if you need it.
     
  8. fantismo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    #9
    Im on an early 2008 macbook pro - fully spec'd (from the time i bought it)- im thinking of going for a fully spec'd MBP i7, 8 gig ram etc.. but should i just get the best processor and buy the ram and ssd separately?

    any help would be greatly appreciated!
     
  9. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
    #10
  10. fsumom macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2010
    #11
    I don't run heavy applications so I didn't feel I'd really benefit from an upgrade. I've had my MBP 13" now for a few weeks and am completely satisfied.
     
  11. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    Location:
    Tokyo
    #12
    Yeah for sure! I bought a MBP 13" yesterday and bought 8GB ram ($110) and a 500GB SSD hybrid ($110). I would be using the pro for ever though, I am going to get a fully loaded 17" next year and I will take the ram and drive with me.
     
  12. elpmas macrumors 68000

    elpmas

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2009
    Location:
    Where the fresh snow don't go.
    #13
    nice :)
     
  13. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 25, 2009
    #14
    why not get the 17 now?
     
  14. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #15
    changed my mind now.. im going to buy 13" mbp today!! so excited!!!
     
  15. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 25, 2009
    #16
    what concerns me is the screen res
     
  16. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2010
    #17
    I bet you wouldn't even relise any difference if you didn't know, the same with a heck of a lot of people on here. The MBP has an excellent screen, it's what Apple is good at, display. I seriously think Sandy bridge is over rated. There is too many people on here who get over excited about new tech and because Sandy Bridge will soon be new they are get so excited by it, as soon as it arrives in a MBP, watch the threads suddenly turn to the next upgrade on here and the same threads about how it will be soo much better then SB. It's the same story all the time on here. Within a week of the iPhone 4 being announced nevermind released, people were already setting up threads about the iPhone 5.

    As you may have guessed, I've voted buy now, nothing wrong with even the basic MBP which is twice the computer of the recently released Air.
     
  17. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2010
    #18
    Look, the new refresh is probably coming around April-June (that to me is a far ways off IF I NEED A MACHINE NOW.... if you don't, wait... it's not rocket science.

    The second the new machines come out, the VERY NEXT DAY, you are buying an outdated machine and the talks about next years refresh will already be around. That's just how technology, and especially the mac folks, do things. They are ALWAYS wondering about what's next.

    I just purchased a MBP 15" i5 about a month ago, to me, I NEEDED a machine, I bought it. No way I could way months for the refresh.

    It's a viscous cycle, because in say 2013 I'll be buying the new machine while the folks who bought the 2011 won't... so I'll have a better machine, but in 2014 they'll be buying new and I won't, so they'll have the better... it never ends. Don't worry yourself with what's coming, get what you need when you need it.
     
  18. apolloa macrumors G3

    apolloa

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    Location:
    Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
    #19
    Wait for the update BUT we have NO confirmed rumour of just when this update will happen. Everyone is just speculating on it using the buyers guide dates. So it could be a few months yet, especially if Apple only uses dual core CPU's again...
     
  19. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

    marshallbedsaul

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    Maryland
  20. Krafty macrumors 601

    Krafty

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    Location:
    La La Land
    #21
    I'm about to. As I need it for next semester.
     
  21. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

    Jaro65

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #22
    Wait for the refresh if you don't need it right now.
     
  22. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 25, 2009
    #23
    i wonder how much more battery we will get. 12 hrs battery would be great. that and a design change is a good reason to wait for the update
     
  23. JKK photography macrumors regular

    JKK photography

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    #24
    If it uses newer Intel chips, then I wouldn't expect a big bump to the battery.

    And is there a rumored design change? I didn't think there was, but maybe I missed it?
     

Share This Page