Buy a MBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BioCore, Sep 9, 2007.

  1. BioCore macrumors regular

    Sep 9, 2007
    Hey everyone,

    I want to buy a laptop for school which starts tomorrow, and my parents decided they would pay for it, which is awesome! So anyways, I was wondering if you guys think there will be a big update to the hardware when Leopard comes out in October? If it is something small then I can buy it right away, if it is something big, will it affect the speed or performance any differently? (As in greater performance?)

    Also if I buy a MBP now, and update it later to Leopard OS, will it be any problems in terms of speed or will it maybe even be a bit better?
  2. Mr. B macrumors regular

    Dec 25, 2005
    As usual the answer is, if you can wait, do so.

    The mac book pros didn't come out yesterday, so more likely than not revisions are going to come sooner than you'd like.

    They *will* be better than the current ones, and they will most likely cost about the same.

    If you can hold off buying one do so. If you can't, buy the current macbook pro.

    It's a good machine and it will last you.
  3. Raska macrumors 6502

    Aug 5, 2007
    I just bought a MBP recently, and I think buying now shouldn't be too much of a problem. Unless the next revision has quad-core, which I highly doubt it will, buy it when you need it.
  4. BioCore thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 9, 2007
    So buying one right now, and then updating won't be too much of a problem at all? I mean if the current ones will be able to do graphics, movie viewing, and minor theme codings while browsing internet even after the upgrade to leopard with full speed I don't mind any lower hardware changes!
  5. BioCore thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 9, 2007
    BTW, does Apple give student discounts in their physical stores? Like do I just show my student card, and get the discount?
  6. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 3, 2007
    In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
    I think they do, exactly the way you just mentioned it. You need an id or some proof that you are a student.
  7. squeeks macrumors 68040


    Jun 19, 2007
    my store did I even brought a copy of my schedule but they just wanted to see my ID
  8. ripplet macrumors member

    Sep 6, 2007
    If you want a Macbook, wait till Leopard comes out.

    If you want a MacBook Pro, there will be no difference in buying now or wait.

    I'm guessing that when they release Leopard, Macbooks will get an update. Crunchgear has some reports that the updated Macbooks will be half the thickness of current Macbooks. They stated that it was from a "reliable" source which had provided "reliable" information before.

    However, i might also guess that the MBPs will be updated as well due to Leopard's support for higher resolution. But this update may come in the next few months following Leopard's release.

    So the bottom line is, if you desperately need a laptop for school, buy the MBP now. If you don't, you might want to wait till after Leopard is released to see if there are any updates to the laptop line. :cool:

Share This Page