Buy a MP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by giganten, Feb 14, 2008.

1. giganten macrumors 6502a

Okay, I am thinking about buying a MP but need some help.

I will use this machine for photoshop work and Web design. Plus maybe some games in Windows some times (world in conflict, time shift).

So a 8800Gt maybe is good to pick up for the games but it will not help much for web design and ps. Can the HD 2600 XT play games whit "good" graphics and the alternative with 2 x HD 2600 XT is not better then the 8800GT?

And then we have the processor should I go for one or two 2.8GHz CPU's?
    What will make most difference two CPU's and 2Gb ram (for now) or one CPU and 4Gb ram?

Do you know some good cable to connect my LCD TV (hdmi) to the MP?

Or my second alternative is to build a HTPC and buy some external hdd for my MBP and do all work on the laptop.

Thanks for the help!

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

2 graphics cards on the pro do not act as one, they drive more displays, go for the gt, its a great option. For photoshop if its a toss up id say go for ram, but for gaming processor (or both lol)

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You'd be best with one 2.8 Quad, games don't use 8 cores and probably wont in the life the gaming capacity of the machine. You can upgrade the graphics card, but multiple cards won't help, they're for multiple displays. I'd invest the money you save into more RAM, as that's what would benefit you best.

4. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

So the mac pro doesn't support crossfire just so you can have more displays?

But if we look for say 5-7 years will it be best to go for 1 or two cpu's.. As I want this machine to last long time and it is a big investment.

5. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Well, if you can afford it, and you really want to be using it 7 years from now, then yes, buy the 8 core version! :)

Oh, and the 8800GT is a must! + 4GB RAM as a minimum (to actually take advantage of the 64-bit processors)!!! ;)

6. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay what do say about this setup.

2 x 2.8Ghz
    2Gb ram + 2Gb ram from macsales.com
    8800 GT
    Wireless keyboard and mouse.

And what do you think about using my LCD TV as monitor until I can afford a 20 cinema display. Is this cable good, Belkin PureAV HDMI - DVI?

Is this multifunction printer any good, Epson Stylus Photo RX585. Is the scanner in it any good?

7. izibo macrumors 6502

Looks good to me. I know there are a few people that are also selling their stock 2x1gb Apple sticks that came with their Mac Pro (I plan on doing this when I receive my system in a week or two). Check around the forums and eBay and you may be able to get a deal on RAM. Plus, since it will be from Apple it will be optimal for quad-channel.

For cables go to www.monoprice.com. I buy all my stuff there. I use one of their HDMI > DVI cables for my MacBook Air to connect to my HDTV and it works great.

8. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just a little question, can you put in 2x2Gb memory with the 2x1Gb you have in your MP?

9. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

5-7 Years :eek:
    You won't be playing any new games from that period, you'd be extremely lucky to run the newest OS at that time.

10. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

If you want to play games just get a PS3 (and then you have blu-ray too!)

11. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Yes, no problem. The MacPro has 8 RAM slots! :)

12. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

13. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

a fair point, although the 8 core system really isn't that much more, and will most definitely add a great deal to the lifetime of the system

14. barijazz macrumors 6502

But isn't there a problem with using non-matching ram sticks?

15. cmturner2 macrumors member

cmturner2

Is there an option to add the second CPU after the fact should the need/desire arise, or is it a case of get it when you purchase or do without it forever??

16. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Yes, I've heard that you have to install the RAM in pairs, or the Machine won't start! :(

… and you must use FB-DIMMs! = Don't MIX, and don't use regular RAM!!!

17. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Actually an Xbox 360 is a far better option given that it has many more exclusive titles and an online service which is second to none.

18. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

In theory yes!
    It has the second socked and you will be able to buy the processor but you will run into a problem with finding a Heat sink for it as only the Apple made one will fit and work.

19. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The Cable is very good, Your configuration is good as well. For the Printer it produces pretty good Quality However I'd recommend the Canon MP 610.