buy a nano from best buy or Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by the.lurker, Jan 9, 2008.

1. the.lurker macrumors newbie

which is better to buy from best buy or apple?
    Who has the better return policy/warranties?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

well, apple allows you to return within 14 days while best buy has a 30-day return policy. i think they both claim to charge a restocking fee, though i've never been charged returning to either store (wireless mm to apple and a ds to best buy).

3. the.lurker thread starter macrumors newbie

So best buy is the way to go?

im getting a nano because im fed up with the iphones defects.
    im on my 4th messed up iphone.
    never buy 1st generation products from apple.

4. schreck macrumors regular

The restocking fee at Best Buy applies to cameras and laptops only. It does not exist on anything else, but there are certain items that cannot be returned for a refund, but only for an even trade if unopened (video games, etc). Your nano is fine.

5. thinkband macrumors regular

Nano is a relatively cheap product (in price) so I would not worry too much about who is more lenient on returns.

Overall, Apple will be more inclined to help you out after the warranty is over whereas Bestbuy might just go by their return policy. Though, with a $150 purchase, I would not lose sleep over it.

6. the.lurker thread starter macrumors newbie

say if i bought it from best buy and 20 days later I didnt want my nano anymore.

can i return it for a full refund?
    or do i have to pay a restocking fee?

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would say that you are safe either way, but are probably safer at Best Buy with the longer return period, but I always seem to get a greater sense of security when I buy from the Apple Store, not sure why though.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

Personally I would always rather buy from Best Buy if the product is available there. BB never gives me any grief over returns, and (with few exceptions) does not charge a restocking fee as Apple does on ALL opened products (you may get lucky but I haven't). There is a Best Buy and an Apple store both within a few blocks of my work (Apple is slightly closer even), and I would always choose BB. Actually, with iPods available just about everywhere, there is absolutely no reason to buy from Apple, except for a refurb online.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Best place to buy is Costco. Their 90 day return policy ensures that if your iPod goes bad in the first 90 days you can return it for a BRAND NEW one. If you buy from BB then it's just 30 days, and if from Apple just 15 days. Once the return period is over if your iPod goes bad you'll get a refurbed unit. The extra 90 days also gives you two months extra price protection.

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

11. danny_w macrumors 601

I keep hearing good things about Costco, but the few times I have been in the local store I have been extremely underwhelmed. It's just a big, very poorly organized warehouse with nobody around to help you find anything. The prices don't seem good enough to make up for the utter lack of service and organization. Maybe other locations are better?

12. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'd say so. The customer service is pretty good, they'll help you within their area, but aren't that much help with locating items. Their return policy is also supposed to be excellent. They also try to have good customer service (returns, defectives, etc) because you pay to be a member of the store.

13. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I've heard costco will let you return ANYTHING. I've heard things that people returned completely broken purchases for a refund.

14. the.lurker thread starter macrumors newbie

90 days?
    wow
    im deff. buyin from costco since we have membership there

within the 90 days can i return it with a restocking fee or a full refund if i dont want it ?

15. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

I don't know about BB but there is something fun about shopping in an Apple Store.

Just saying.

16. the.lurker thread starter macrumors newbie

nvm my last post

costco's return policy says
    if im not satisfied with the ipod ill get a FULL REFUND
    NO RESTOCKING FEE.
    with a return period of 90 DAYS
    cant get better than that.

17. f1 macrumors 6502

Kind of misleading there, the Apple store does not charge restocking fees on ALL items. Only open iPods, Computers, AppleTVs, and Cinema Displays. Best Buy charges restocking fees on all these afformentioned products if purchased through them except iPods.

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

IIRC, their refund policy also used to be a year (instead of 90 days), but after years of it being abused, they changed it down to 90 days.

It wasn't hard to find posts/blogs from people who'd buy a computer or big TV, use it for 11 months, return it for a full refund -- just to get a newer one. :(

19. macguymike macrumors 6502

If you get it from Best Buy, be sure to get their extended service plan if they still offer it. It's cheaper than AppleCare, and resulted in me getting a 5G iPod when my 4G one died. :)

20. macguymike macrumors 6502

True. However, Sam's Club still offers no-time-limit returns on anything as long as you keep your receipt and the original contents of the box (ie. obviously you can't get your money back if you don't have the headphones and cable).

21. macguymike macrumors 6502

Yes, you can. See my last post about Sam's Club. :)

22. danny_w macrumors 601

Straight from the Apple refunds policy:

A 10% restocking fee will be assessed for opened items.

Pardon me for thinking that meant ALL items!

23. f1 macrumors 6502

Maybe for the online store but i'm POSITIVE that if you go into an Apple Brick and Mortar store the restocking fee does not apply to EVERYTHING

24. the.lurker thread starter macrumors newbie

HOLY crap
    NO RETURN TIME LIMIT
    FULL REFUND
    now im with sams club!