Buy a new Apple Keyboard now or wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ezekielrage_99, Jul 17, 2007.

1. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I need to get a keyboard for my Macbook and I'm not sure if to buy now or wait until it's revised. Any ideas?

2. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink the OP was wondering if they should wait till the alleged new apple keyboards come out or not?

No one really knows if there will be a new keyboard.

If you dont like the Macbook keyboard or you need one now then buy now, but if you don't need one now then wait until November: Keyboards are not scarce and if you don't like the alleged new keyboard then you could probably get the other keyboard for much cheaper

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Wait!!

I think you should wait a year or 2 before you buy.

5. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

all i know is that apple hasn't updated their keyboard design in years, nor has any real impetus to do so as long as the only potential competitor in class (the logitech dinovo) remains pc only.

on top of that, apple has many reasons to not squander engineering resources on a new keyboard when it has much more pressing concerns with new iphones, ipods, imacs, apple tvs, and who knows what the hell else.

seriously - it's just an overpriced, white keyboard with an apple logo. i think the op is thinking too hard over this one.

6. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I think the bluetooth keyboard is as perfect of a keyboard as one could ask for

7. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

bluetooth is over rated. i already use a bluetooth headset for ichat. turn that thing on and apple's bluetooth mice and keyboard start suffering performance problems. the headset too. try running a phone sync too and the whole thing crashes down.

stick with radio for mice and keyboards. the bandwidth on bluetooth isn't there if you want to use it for other things simultaneously.

8. ventro macrumors 6502a

wait till the new imacs hit, they are coming with new keyboards. hopefully they will sell them seperately too.

9. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

This is rumored to be true, it may or may not happen.

I would just buy an apple keyboard now. I really like mine. I keep buying new ones, but always find myself crawling back to the one that came with my iMac.

Kidding, right?

10. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

And useless. With its RF... :rolleyes: Give me a break. Every modern Mac has bluetooth or can be fitted with it. Why woul they not make this thing bluetooth. Not to mention all the buttons on this thing. I don't need media button and I don't need volume buttons on my mouse. What a waste. Such garbage IMO. The RF is really what gets me though. Ugh.

I looked at the Dinovo edge, of course Windows only (it will work). But I realized quickly that:

1. It has orange lights all over it. No thanks.
    2. It has no Mac drivers, it will work, but the extra functions are useless.
    3. It has a Windows key.
    4. It is way two much, $136 from buy.com. No thanks. I got my Apple BT keyboard and BT MM for $100.

It really is just a keyboard. Just buy a new one. I already plan to replace my BT keyboard next year sometime. Keyboard aren't something I keep around for years. But thats me.

11. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Just don't try using a third BT accessory, or try connecting your phone! :cool:

12. discodave macrumors member

Completely agree. That Logitech thing is absolutely hideous. To the person who suggested it, have you ever used a Mac? LOL!

13. wal9000 macrumors member

And as the owner of an S530, I can vouch for the handiness of extra buttons. I control iTunes through quicksilver hotkeys, so I don't use the extra buttons on the keyboard often. It has a nice feel once you get used to it. Battery life on the keyboard is excellent. As for the mouse, 8 buttons is divine. You don't have to use them for volume (that would be stupid), they can be remapped in the Logitech Control Center. I have my 3 buttons to the left of the primary mouse button mapped to Expose, and the forward/back buttons on Dashboard and control. Control is used to make the computer zoom in by spinning the scroll wheel. It's rather convenient when using a wireless mouse from across the room without my glasses on.

When 10.5 comes out I'll probably change the Dashboard (don't really use widgets a lot) button to Spaces, or get rid of one of the expose buttons.

Downsides: Drivers are sometimes unreliable, and it needs an RF dongle. The mouse is a bit large, so it's really best suited for use at a desk. You'll need to replace the batteries once in a while, but they're AAs, so that's not so bad.

I'm not the person who suggested it, but it's a damn nice mouse and a decent keyboard. I have used a Mac. I've been using them since OS 7. Some of us are comfortable with more than one button. LOL! OMGWTFBBQ!

14. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I realize they can be remapped and I have done so. However, the buttons themselves are in a silly location. I didn't find them very useful for launching expose they were too rigid and awkwardly placed. I also, don't like extra buttons. I have keys on my keyboard, which can be combined and be more useful than a media button. And the software, as you pointed out is unreliable. I would have to take that a step further and call it useless.

To each their own though, but like I said, the RF is what really bakes my noodle. I personally didn't like the set.

15. wal9000 macrumors member

I do agree with most of your points. The RF dongle is problematic if you're moving around a lot, but for use at a desk it's not exactly an issue. The drivers are unreliable, but far from useless. Some time ago I considered purchasing USB overdrive to replace them, but I can generally solve any problems I'm having by reconnecting the mouse. That said, if I buy a new mouse in the next few years I'm not sure if I'd get another Logitech. My feelings change on this pretty often, and right now I don't really mind it much. At other times it can drive me nuts. Mostly depends on whether or not I'm playing a first person shooter when it "forgets" my button mappings temporarily. I really like their hardware, but unless they get their act together on the software end of things it might end up being the deal breaker for me next time. If only someone made a bluetooth mouse with enough extra buttons for me.

Selection of a keyboard and mouse really depends on where it's going to be used. If you plan on picking the computer up and carrying it places with the keyboard/mouse then bluetooth is really the only option. At a desk you can get away with a wired or RF keyboard and an RF mouse.

My solution to the portability problem is using my Bluetooth Wacom when I'm sitting around somewhere with the laptop not on my lap. It's a nice hard surface use the mouse or pen with, and that's a big deal in my book. For years I've been seeing "Super hyperaccurate wireless laser awesome supreme alpha beta 12345 bluetooth inputology hi-tec" mice that are so accurate that they can track on clean glass, or even air! My experience has always been that they don't, so I gave up on using optical and laser mice anywhere by on a table. Despite what the mouse companies would have you believe, they won't track accurately on your couch cushions.

Going back to the OP's question, I'd recommend waiting. It's been rumored that the next generation of Apple keyboards will feature built in remotes and backlights, so if either of those is true it would be the first time a feature has been added since they started coming with bluetooth. Maybe new keyboards won't happen, but if you buy now and they do it'll feel like you're using something that's essentially got the same feature set as Apple keyboards did 10 years ago, just without a power button. Really depends on how much you like having the best new gadgets. If a keyboard is just a keyboard to you then go ahead and get one.