Buy a new computer or upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Freshmen, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Freshmen macrumors member

Freshmen

I've got a 2010 i3 iMac. It runs fine, I upgraded the ram to 8GB's, its not slow or anything but I want to have all the current stuff todays computers have, like SSD's, the newer better displays, etc. This computer also also has a dead pixel (right in the freaking center of the screen) so I'm a bit hesitant on doing anything else besides that one ram upgrade I did. If I upgrade I'm looking at a Mac Pro or a specced iMac.

What do you guys think I should do? Whats the smartest thing to do?

I do graphic design work, and lots of video editing.

2. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Assuming you're not planning on fixing the display, I'd just go with a new one and sell that one to help pay for it, seeing as you can't upgrade the CPU.

3. Freshmen thread starter macrumors member

Freshmen

yeah hell no I'm not. A new screen costs like 500, to sell this iMac i would get like 600. No point in paying the price of the computer for a screen

4. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

5. Freshmen thread starter macrumors member

Freshmen

Why should i get that over the mac pro? I wanted to pro because one i could use dual displays and upgrade the parts. I don't think thats possible with these new macs

6. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Technically, all the parts that are upgradable in the Mac Pro are upgradable in the iMac, however the processor is not upgradable in either according to Apple. Doing so voids the warranty, but it can be done as both CPUs are socketed. Replacing the SSD in the iMac also voids the warranty, and it might on the Mac Pro too I'm not 100% certain.

Also the iMac does have the ability to have a second display. It has Thunderbolt ports like the Mac Pro, meaning you can go and pickup a display and a Mini-Displayport adapter and have it up and running in no time. All Mini-Displayports are forwards compatible with Thunderbolt.

Now the main differences between them include Xeon (Mac Pro) versus Core i-Series (iMac), Memory DIMMs (Mac Pro) versus Memory SODIMMs (iMac). More ports (Mac Pro) built in display (iMac).

If you have the budget, get the Mac Pro. It will last longer, and the Xeon chips are the higher end professional model from processors from Intel.

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

With the curent iMacs (and even the 2012 iMacs) they can support multiple displays, two additional displays if you use non-Thunderbolt displays. If you use Apple's Thunderbolt displays you can have many more because Thunderbolt can be daisychained.

BTW I agree with the information the previous poster supplied.

8. Freshmen thread starter macrumors member

Freshmen

i know but i cant have identical dual displays if i go w/ the iMac, I care about presentation. Imo having dual displays using different displays just doesn't look right