Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
I have had three iPads since the very first iPad and used it for consuming media and games as well as showing presentations in university. I never created anything with it. I always used my MacBook or trusty+powerful gaming PC for actually doing productive tasks. Now I am out of university and the MacBook is collecting dust - besides its age since it's from 2011. My iPad Air 1 is getting too slow for my taste as well these days.

My plan was to sell the MacBook and the iPad and get a new iPad Pro once it releases. However, I recently had an accident and got injured. With the injury I wasn't able to sit at my desk and do stuff, instead I used my dusty MacBook again.

Now here is the question: Do you think a Surface (without the keyboard) could fulfill my consuming/iPad needs just as well as an iPad would do it? Consuming=Hearthstone gaming, YouTube, Netflix, web browsing and taking notes. And at the same time fulfill productivity needs with the keyboard attached? Productivity=Google Analytics, Salesforce, lots of Mails, Heavy Word and PowerPoint and browsing.
Or should I go for an iPad instead? Anyone here that has both devices and can share their experiences?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have had three iPads since the very first iPad and used it for consuming media and games as well as showing presentations in university. I never created anything with it. I always used my MacBook or trusty+powerful gaming PC for actually doing productive tasks. Now I am out of university and the MacBook is collecting dust - besides its age since it's from 2011. My iPad Air 1 is getting too slow for my taste as well these days.

My plan was to sell the MacBook and the iPad and get a new iPad Pro once it releases. However, I recently had an accident and got injured. With the injury I wasn't able to sit at my desk and do stuff, instead I used my dusty MacBook again.

Now here is the question: Do you think a Surface (without the keyboard) could fulfill my consuming/iPad needs just as well as an iPad would do it? Consuming=Hearthstone gaming, YouTube, Netflix, web browsing and taking notes. And at the same time fulfill productivity needs with the keyboard attached? Productivity=Google Analytics, Salesforce, lots of Mails, Heavy Word and PowerPoint and browsing.
Or should I go for an iPad instead? Anyone here that has both devices and can share their experiences?
Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope that your recovery will be speedy and complete.

Regarding your question, yes, the Surface can accommodate your tablet needs. Keep in mind that it won't do it as well as the iPad. You won't have the same battery life, instant on, and smooth performance that you have experienced with the iPad. Although it looks like a tablet, it is really a desktop PC, so you'll need to run antivirus and expect the same frequent OS updates and associated issues with those updates as any desktop PC.

As an ultrabook, I think that the Surface is great.

Having said that, if I were to go back to a hybrid Windows device today, I wouldn't get another Surface but a Samsung Galaxy Book.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope that your recovery will be speedy and complete.

Regarding your question, yes, the Surface can accommodate your tablet needs. Keep in mind that it won't do it as well as the iPad. You won't have the same battery life, instant on, and smooth performance that you have experienced with the iPad. Although it looks like a tablet, it is really a desktop PC, so you'll need to run antivirus and expect the same frequent OS updates and associated issues with those updates as any desktop PC.

As an ultrabook, I think that the Surface is great.

Having said that, if I were to go back to a hybrid Windows device today, I wouldn't get another Surface but a Samsung Galaxy Book.

Thank you :) Yeah I get your point. But I have the bad feeling that even the iPad Pro sucks with huge Word docs not even to speak of Salesforce Marketing Cloud and Google Analytics...

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Thank you :) Yeah I get your point. But I have the bad feeling that even the iPad Pro sucks with huge Word docs not even to speak of Salesforce Marketing Cloud and Google Analytics...
My criticism of the Surface as a tablet was in no way an endorsement of the iPad for advanced workflows and use cases.

The iPad Pro sucks with ANY Word docs that have moderate to advanced formatting... regardless of size.

After much experience and heartburn with converged devices I have concluded that they aren't "there" yet. I'm waiting to see what Apple does with iOS 11 toward expanding the capabilities of the 12.9 Pro and if nothing materializes more than animated emojis, then I will seriously consider trading in my 12.9 Pro and 11" MBA and getting a fully decked 13" MBA and using my iPad Mini 4 as a mobile combo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.