Buy a new Mac now, or wait for Yosemite?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by wallaby, Oct 1, 2014.

1. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

I'm in the market for a new Macbook. I want something with a battery that lasts longer than the two hours of my current 2007 MBP, and I want a smaller machine for the ease of toting it around. Best Buy has all their Macs on sale for $100 off right now, and I'm tempted to pounce on them before the sale ends. Do you think it's a better idea to wait until Yosemite comes preinstalled on all Macbooks (and potentially losing $100), or should I just bite the bullet and upgrade-in-place when it comes out later this month?

Written by a guy who's still clinging to 10.6 since his hardware chokes on anything newer.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Buy it now. Upgrading is painless, and if for some reason you hate Yosemite you'll have the ability to downgrade.

3. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Yeah, not sure what you think the pros would be if you waited? There are obvious pros to buying now: you can take advantage of the sale. There are no cons to buying now: the Yosemite update will be free regardless of when you buy, and if you REALLY want to, you can always do a clean install, which would render the Yosemite installation on your computer no different than what you would get if the factory installed it for you.

I can think of no pros to waiting (unless you are lazy and would simply rather have the factory install Yosemite for you), and only cons: if your laptop ships with Yosemite, you might not be able to downgrade if you ever have or feel the need to run Mavericks. (If you buy a model of computer that existed before Yosemite shipped, and if you have a copy of the Mavericks installer kicking around or know somebody that you can get a copy from, then in theory you should be able to downgrade. If you wait too long after Yosemite comes out and buy a model that was released after Yosemite's release, then the lowest version of OS X that you will be able to run on that computer is Yosemite.)

-- Nathan

4. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

5. Planey28 macrumors 6502

Don't spread your pointless moaning to random threads...

I would buy now, as others have said Yosemite will be free and it will take little time or effort to upgrade.

6. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

7. iceperson macrumors 6502

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac