Buy a new Mac now, or wait for Yosemite?

wallaby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
398
6
Iowa
I'm in the market for a new Macbook. I want something with a battery that lasts longer than the two hours of my current 2007 MBP, and I want a smaller machine for the ease of toting it around. Best Buy has all their Macs on sale for $100 off right now, and I'm tempted to pounce on them before the sale ends. Do you think it's a better idea to wait until Yosemite comes preinstalled on all Macbooks (and potentially losing $100), or should I just bite the bullet and upgrade-in-place when it comes out later this month?

Written by a guy who's still clinging to 10.6 since his hardware chokes on anything newer.
 

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
7,766
2,551
Buy it now. Upgrading is painless, and if for some reason you hate Yosemite you'll have the ability to downgrade.
 

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
739
16
Yeah, not sure what you think the pros would be if you waited? There are obvious pros to buying now: you can take advantage of the sale. There are no cons to buying now: the Yosemite update will be free regardless of when you buy, and if you REALLY want to, you can always do a clean install, which would render the Yosemite installation on your computer no different than what you would get if the factory installed it for you.

I can think of no pros to waiting (unless you are lazy and would simply rather have the factory install Yosemite for you), and only cons: if your laptop ships with Yosemite, you might not be able to downgrade if you ever have or feel the need to run Mavericks. (If you buy a model of computer that existed before Yosemite shipped, and if you have a copy of the Mavericks installer kicking around or know somebody that you can get a copy from, then in theory you should be able to downgrade. If you wait too long after Yosemite comes out and buy a model that was released after Yosemite's release, then the lowest version of OS X that you will be able to run on that computer is Yosemite.)

-- Nathan
 

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
282
139
I'm in the market for a new Macbook. I want something with a battery that lasts longer than the two hours of my current 2007 MBP, and I want a smaller machine for the ease of toting it around. Best Buy has all their Macs on sale for $100 off right now, and I'm tempted to pounce on them before the sale ends. Do you think it's a better idea to wait until Yosemite comes preinstalled on all Macbooks (and potentially losing $100), or should I just bite the bullet and upgrade-in-place when it comes out later this month?

Written by a guy who's still clinging to 10.6 since his hardware chokes on anything newer.
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#Mac
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.