Buy a new Mac now or wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by matt9013, Aug 25, 2014.

  1. matt9013 macrumors 6502

    matt9013

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2013
    #1
    Looks like I'll be buying an Imac 21.5inch sometime soon. Should I wait for the September event or buy one now?

    I don't want to spend to much money which is why I'm going with the 21.5 inch model with the 2.7GHz or the base model. What are the chances a newer Imac gets announced for around that price point or cheaper?
     
  2. iososx macrumors 6502a

    iososx

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2014
    Location:
    USA
    #2
    Buy now if you need a computer. If you can get by, wait. Pricing is a gamble.
     
  3. Serban Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #3
    There will be a new imac in October, this is not 100% but still good chances. So even if retina imac will show, today iMacs will be 100$ drop i think
     
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #4
    Cruise the refurb store at your price points to see if something with boosted specs catches your interest.
     
  5. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    If you need one soon, then buy one soon. If you don't need one, then hold off until you do. That's good advice whether there's a release upcoming or not. I don't share Serban's optimism in an October date and certainly don't expect Retina this year. I think iMacs will be in a holding pattern until Intel get their act together with the next lot of chip sets.
     
  6. randalf72 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2014
    #6
    I'm on the lookout for a 27" imac myself and personally I waiting as long as I can.

    I can get educational pricing until June next year so I'm hoping for a retina imac to come out before then.

    If not I'll have to start thinking about configurations on the current generation and try to figure out if a ssd/thunderbolt hdd combo is better than a fusion drive ;)
     
  7. Serban Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #7
    My advice if you are looking to buy a new one, you can wait 1 more month to see if will be a refresh and really buy a new one.There are talking about Yosemite scaled resolutions for an so called retina imac and the 9xx series from Geforce are in line with October Apple event
     
  8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #8
    Retina screens that size will cost.

    Retina screens for Imacs can only push the price up and without a broadwell release I can't see apple going for it yet. Maybe next year with new CPU's and GPU's.
     
  9. Serban Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #9
    Like it was for 15" Macbook Pro back in 2012..price was increased with 300$
     
  10. bambooshots macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2013
    #10
    What do you mainly use your computer for? It's very likely that whatever you get now will still serve you for years to come.

    I actually am preparing to return the iMac 21.5" I got from Best Buy since the 5400RPM HDD is driving me nuts. While the savings from BB was nice, I'd rather pay another $200 to get the 256GB SSD. I'll just be loading up the machine with a few choice (Blizzard) games and seeing as I'm not a photographer or video creator, the 256GB will be enough.

    I guess from here on out it's give me SSD or give me death! :cool:
     

Share This Page