Buy a new MacBook Pro or wait for the update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m.bico, Dec 10, 2014.

  1. m.bico, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

    m.bico macrumors newbie

    m.bico

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2014
    #1
    I really need your advice guys..first of all i'm a victim of the infamous MBP 2011 GPU failures.

    And I have been fixing this problem lately for a couple of times in just one year which costed me much..and before it happens again i was thinking of buying a new MBP..i'm just too confused..waiting for the update is one thing..but the other thing that scares me is the image retention "Burn in" problem in the retina models.

    Is it safer to wait for new models "hopefully" without the image retention nightmare?

    Besides will it make such a BIG difference in the upcoming update? "I know the mid 2014 update was minor" So is it better to wait for Broadwell and other rumored updates like the touchscreen etc..

    I'm just afraid to spend so much money on an outdated model..but what really really makes it confusing is that i have the chance of buying it now from USA which is much cheaper than it is in my country (The price of the high end 15" model in USA is actually cheaper than the lower end 15" in my country by almost 377$ !!)

    So..any advice? I'm sorry i'm new here so have some mercy on me please :D
     
  2. crawler1975 macrumors regular

    crawler1975

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    #2

    As you know, all are rumors at the moment - if you need a Macbook now then go ahead and pull the trigger...
     
  3. m.bico thread starter macrumors newbie

    m.bico

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2014
    #3
    Thanks a lot for your help :) i just discovered and edited the post that the high end in USA is actually cheaper by 377 dollars than the lower end in my country!! It's really a rip-off here..so i'm actually leaning towards getting it..i'm only scared from the image retention issues more than regretting any "cool" specs in the upcoming update
     
  4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2010
    #4
    People can speculate until the cows come home as to whether you should wait until the Broadwell chips are used in the rMBP or get one now. The reality is this - yes, the Broadwell chips will be slightly faster. Yes, the Broadwell chips will provide slightly better battery life. But...and that's one BIG butt....given that the current rMBP's are pretty stinkin' fast, and have battery life that's better than your current 2011 MBP.....Sounds like you're in a situation where it's time to replace your 2011 MBP.

    You might be waiting another 5 to 7 months before the Broadwell chips hit. Can you wait that long for an unknown?
     
  5. aerok macrumors 65816

    aerok

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2011
    #5
    I just bought mine, I haven't look for any IR issues but during regular use I don't notice any.
     
  6. crawler1975 macrumors regular

    crawler1975

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    #6
    now that changes everything.. I would HIGHLY recommend to go purchase it now.. $377 is huge! considering you are getting the high spec. Just curious, which country? Australia?
     
  7. m.bico, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

    m.bico thread starter macrumors newbie

    m.bico

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2014
    #7
    Yes you are right..it's a slight update for the "known" but as you said about the unknown..maybe it won't be such a huge boost. Thanks :)

    Great :) I heard that the problem is in select models..LG ones

    Yes i totally agree with you..it's a big amount of money and it will make a difference in my work flow regarding the disastrous condition my macbook in.
    No..Egypt :) Great country but terrible greedy stores! And believe it or not they are the official ones! There's no control on prices whatsoever..and worse..if my nightmare came true and the new macbook i'm planning to buy suffers from the image retention problem there's no way to fix it here..that's the point i was talking about a lot..fear of image retention and hope it may be fixed in the new models..but again it may never get fixed in the new ones and i could waste this chance :)
     

Share This Page