buy a new macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peshy12, Dec 9, 2009.

1. peshy12 macrumors newbie

hey, ok im buying a macbook pro for about £400 thing is though its really cheap. and i think it might be stolen. if it is stolen will i get caught and jailed? i cant prove that ive bought it or anything like that. but its brand new too. so i really want it but i dont want to get jailed or have it taken off me. wat shall i do. im about 70% sure im gonna buy it because its so cheap nd i need one for my music course but will i get jailed or have it taken off me?

2. vant macrumors 65816

3. peshy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok it doesnt come up on the website from powermax. but im still unsure. what if it is. can the police find out?

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

first let me say I don't condone the purchase of stolen property, its just a moral thing you will have to live with if you decide to make this purchase.... now that being said, it is very unlikely that you will be found out unless you walk into an apple store for service and the computers serial number comes up in their database as stolen. So chances are slim that you will ever get caught as long as you do all your own repairs or use a third party should you ever need anything fixed. I'm sure someone else will buy it if you dont it just comes down to your morals and whether you want to be "that guy"

5. ricof macrumors member

What are the specs? Where are you buying it from?

It might be legitimate, just someone looking for a quick sale?

6. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

Why don't you get the serial number, then phone Apple to ask whether it's been reported as stolen? That way, you'll double check that you're not doing something immoral/illegal, while also covering your own... um, apple.

I know nothing about U.K. law, but in the U.S. "receiving stolen property" can be a crime, if the person knew or believed that the property was stolen.

Edit: To truly CYA, call Apple and the police. Also, after a quick Google, it is a crime in the U.K. to receive stolen property, though the details are complicated.

7. keithOrbit macrumors member

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Pretty sure you just go to apples website and there is a place to see if its stolen or not.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Link?

10. sweetie81 macrumors regular

A unibody MBP for £400? Never ever ever. Apples have a good resale value so I really don't think that this is ok.

Fishy if you ask me. Get the serial number and phone Apple/Police. Nobody - even a noob would be that stupid and sell it for £400. Don't buy it mate unless you have checked that with Apple / Police.

My advice.

11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I think it shows up here

i would think that putting it in there would give indication

Coconut Identity Card also has a section for checking if its stolen or not

Attached Files:

• COco.jpg
      COco.jpg
      File size:
      78.6 KB
      Views:
  12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That only shows any existing warranty coverage. It won't show any indication of stolen property.
    That's helpful!

13. peshy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

none of these sites come up with the serial number as being stolen. but im still unsure. can the police find out if it is if i just use it as a normal laptop?