buy a new macbook pro

peshy12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
hey, ok im buying a macbook pro for about £400 thing is though its really cheap. and i think it might be stolen. if it is stolen will i get caught and jailed? i cant prove that ive bought it or anything like that. but its brand new too. so i really want it but i dont want to get jailed or have it taken off me. wat shall i do. im about 70% sure im gonna buy it because its so cheap nd i need one for my music course but will i get jailed or have it taken off me?

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
If you buy stolen property you will have to surrender it without compensation. Buying stolen equipment is illegal and encourages further theft.

peshy12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
ok it doesnt come up on the website from powermax. but im still unsure. what if it is. can the police find out?

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
first let me say I don't condone the purchase of stolen property, its just a moral thing you will have to live with if you decide to make this purchase.... now that being said, it is very unlikely that you will be found out unless you walk into an apple store for service and the computers serial number comes up in their database as stolen. So chances are slim that you will ever get caught as long as you do all your own repairs or use a third party should you ever need anything fixed. I'm sure someone else will buy it if you dont it just comes down to your morals and whether you want to be "that guy"

MikeyTree

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2007
Why don't you get the serial number, then phone Apple to ask whether it's been reported as stolen? That way, you'll double check that you're not doing something immoral/illegal, while also covering your own... um, apple.

I know nothing about U.K. law, but in the U.S. "receiving stolen property" can be a crime, if the person knew or believed that the property was stolen.

Edit: To truly CYA, call Apple and the police. Also, after a quick Google, it is a crime in the U.K. to receive stolen property, though the details are complicated.

sweetie81

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
A unibody MBP for £400? Never ever ever. Apples have a good resale value so I really don't think that this is ok.

Fishy if you ask me. Get the serial number and phone Apple/Police. Nobody - even a noob would be that stupid and sell it for £400. Don't buy it mate unless you have checked that with Apple / Police.

My advice.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
I think it shows up here

i would think that putting it in there would give indication

Coconut Identity Card also has a section for checking if its stolen or not

Attachments

peshy12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
none of these sites come up with the serial number as being stolen. but im still unsure. can the police find out if it is if i just use it as a normal laptop?