Buy a new MBP or IMAC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laliastudiocedric, Jun 8, 2017.

1. laliastudiocedric macrumors newbie

laliastudiocedric

Hi

I actually have a macbook air (mid 2013 I7) and an Imac (mid 2011 I7)

I love to dev (WEBDESIGN and coding) and Play (emulation etc)

Do you think i Should buy one of the new 2017 macbookpro 13 or 15 or even the new 27' Imac?

My Macbook Air screen is quite ******...

Thanks in advance for advices .

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

The iMac is a more powerful device but not as portable. Simple question is where do you plan on using it? The MBP is still an incredibly powerful laptop if you need something portable. But if you're just going to sit at a desk with it then obviously get the iMac.

3. laliastudiocedric thread starter macrumors newbie

laliastudiocedric

Well
    The question would be is it possible to use my actual iMac (not 5k) as an external screen for a MBP?
    Or should i keep my MBA and buy a new iMac?
    Portability is great with AIR but the screen is just crap Vs MBP screen

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204592

5. laliastudiocedric thread starter macrumors newbie

laliastudiocedric

Thanks !

What would you do then?
    In my configuration ?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2017 ---
    Would it be a great speed bump ?

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Really is up to you, if you feel your MBA is getting slow you may consider an upgrade. You can use any modern MB with your iMac display though if the real estate is important. The cables and stuff can also cost money though.

I would personally, check if your MBA supports target mode, then get some cables and try it out. If you decide it's too slow then you can get a new MBP and still use the cables. Potentially saving a lot of money.

In terms of iMac/MBP I personally always get a MBP as my first option, it's far more flexible and my uses are always changing. An iMac is faster but it's like comparing a fast car to an even faster car. If I was in a position to upgrade every year I'd consider my needs today but it just isn't economic to do that. MBP with an external display is great for me and allows me to work and adapt easily.

7. laliastudiocedric thread starter macrumors newbie

laliastudiocedric

Thanks for your advice !
    What kind of MBP should i choose ?13 or 15? Processor option ? Gpu upgrade ?

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Does your line of work/usage make it practical to remote into a desktop? If so, I would favor the iMac + a base MBP. If not, I would favor a higher specced MBP + an external display, if it were me, personally.

I often remote into my 15-inch MBP from my Surface Pro 3 or 13-inch MBP when I need more processing power or want to access files I do not wish to have on the local disk of my portable machine. I plan to replace this MBP with an iMac and continue doing the same thing. However, the critical key for me here is having the ability to remote in - I work in an area where I get good LTE reception almost anywhere I go and have a large data plan on my iPhone. If I did not have this good LTE, then things would be different for me, personally.

9. laliastudiocedric thread starter macrumors newbie

laliastudiocedric

Is the 15 à better choice ? What différence between those two and is it important to take a better cpu ou gpu option?

10. peraspera macrumors member

peraspera

11. laliastudiocedric thread starter macrumors newbie

laliastudiocedric

So MacBook pro with external iMac for screen is Better?

12. jrasero macrumors regular

Probably a iMac since your Macbook Air should be competent enough and isn't as old as your desktop. Unless your laptop is your primary computer or you truly need cutting edge specs on a laptops for content creation purposes, I always suggest avoiding getting going overboard on a laptop since a desktop tends to be more powerful, more economical, and sometimes cheaper to fix.

I really like the new iMacs but depends if you need more mobility