Buy a phone today, buy an iphone tomorrow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sammyman, Jun 26, 2007.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I think I am just going to buy a phone today with a 2 year contract, and turn around on Friday and sell that sucker when I get my iphone? What do you all think?

2. glide macrumors regular

Do it. I did last week. And if for some reason it doesn't pan out (I can't see it not); the money you made from selling the subsidized phones should cover the ETF. Depending on what you get....

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

What happens if I signup w/ a 2 year contract on some regular phone then go and buy the iPhone? I know this was just asked but what will happen to the exisiting 2 year? Will I have to pay termination..? Will I be locked in for 4 years..?

It would be nice to have a backup phone so if I'm going somewhere I don't want the iPhone to get scratched or whatever, I can just switch the SIM card and be on my way.

4. glide macrumors regular

It says "new 2 year agreement required", which I believe would render all previous agreements null and void. I've never heard of being locked into a plan for 4 years.

Even so, for a $600 phone....I'll probably be keeping it that long anyway...

5. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

6. glide macrumors regular

Some have mentioned that it will extend your existing contract by 2 years. Even so you can do the following....

Pick up 2 BBerry Pearls for $29.99 ea
    Sell them for $300 each = $600

Pay ETF (2 lines * 150 =$300)

and you still come out $240 ahead....

7. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

if you cancel a contract within 30 days you need to return the hardware too. it's clearly spelled out in the terms of service and termination policy.

8. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Yeah but you are not cancelling a plan, you are just switching equiptment and changing plans.

9. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

But what if you are not cancelling, just getting a new iPhone contract?

Edit: Jinx

10. glide macrumors regular

If that is true you can just pay for the 1st month of service and still come out with ~$150. May not be worth it for some, but others may be interested.

Or you could just wait *gasp* to get your iphone....

11. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

i'm no expert and have no proof, but i'm willing to bet AT&T won't let you get an iPhone if you've only had service for less than a month without surrendering your equipment. they know people will make a fortune off reselling the phones and they'll be losing tons of money. they're in business to make money. i'd be very surprised if you can sign up today and get a blackberry, then go back on friday and get an iphone and them just starting the contract over and letting you keep both phones, unless you're paying for 2 plans.