Buy a PS3 just for BluRay?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by erkanasu, Nov 10, 2007.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

Is this a dumb idea? The guy at best buy told me that ps3s Emulate bluray, not the real deal. This guy for real?

2. CrisK macrumors newbie

No, he is not for real. The PS3 plays Blu-ray disks just the same as any other standalone Blu-ray player. In fact it loads the discs much quicker (among other things), so it is probably your best bet if you are looking to get into Blu-ray.

3. TimJim macrumors 6502a

the PS3 is as of right now the best Blu-Ray player.

4. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. that guy was just a typical sales **** head then.

Thanks guys.

I think I'll pick up the 40 GB one at a Sony Store. I believe it comes with siderman 3 and is only $299 if you start a Sony Card. Pretty sweet

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Why am I not surprised this type of nonsense came from an employee of Best Buy... If I had a dollar for every time I've heard stories of Best Buy/Curcuit City/FutureShop employees stating falsities I'd be rich... :rolleyes:

The PS3 is an excellent Blu-Ray player - sounds like it would be a good choice for you. :cool:

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

He's full of it. PS3 has a real Blu-ray player.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wait on.....

Isn't there some problem with PS3 not supporting BluRay profile 1.1 ?
    People are expecting a firmware update, but so far it has yet to surface.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/11/01/the-bda-clarifies-the-profile-1-1-mandate-pip/

I haven't encountered any problems myself with BluRay playback on my USA machine, but it's something to be aware of, even if I'm only just getting a grip on understanding it... ;)

Oh and the emulating thing is just the sales guy not knowing his a*se from his elbow..

8. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

just got back from the sony store with a new PS3 40GB.

feel pretty good about it. Only $300 (comes with 6 movies too!)

Thanks for the input guys!

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

PS3 is one of the best Blu-Ray players and it plays games among other things (home media player using uPnp devices, etc).

Samsung BDP-1400 is the current leader, as PS3 still can't decode some of the high def uncompressed audio streams. Everyone was hoping the latest firmware release would unlock that capability, but they only gave us Theme's :rolleyes:

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'm curious - is that PS3 backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1? I heard a blurb somewhere about the newer base-model PS3 not having this feature?

Also - when you're not watching Movies on it - it makes one hell of a space heater. Just install Folding @ Home. Actually saves me $ on my utility bill, b/c I'm heating only one room with it. :D

11. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

lmao

ya no ps2 compatibility, ps1 works. I could care less. I'll prob barely play ps3 games as it is.

12. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Sure even though I only have a few blu-ray movies but I use it mostly for it being a ps3 and playing my 9 games! lol but yeah 400 dollar blu-ray is a he** of alot cheaper then a 1000 dollar one.