buy a ps3 now

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by medicscott, Jun 11, 2010.

1. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

should i buy one now, or is a new console coming out soon? not too familar with the ps3...wanna get into COD.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Wait for E3, there might be some leaks and announcements. Anyway, I doubt we'll see new consoles within a year, my guess is 2012. They will cost +500$ when they come and possibly require 3D TV for optimal gaming thus PS3 really is a great deal now

3. medicscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

medicscott

me and my buddy are headed to the store now to get the ps3 250g and grab COD...cant wait...dammit

thanks for your reply, cant wait for gaming on 3d...unreal

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just buy 3D TV and you can do it already as PS3 got 3D support few weeks ago ;)

5. zenoran macrumors regular

I think buying a 3D tv right now is a big mistake. It's new technology and every mfg is doing their own thing... there is no standard yet. Why drop 3k on a tv that will be obsolete technology in a few months?

I think it's better to wait and see where 3D goes as a standard then get it... that's why companies aren't wasting money on developing movies/games for it yet... The technology is cool but definitely bleeding edge. You will be bleeding when they perfect the 3D WITHOUT GLASSES, which they're working on.

Either way, the PS3 is pretty good at keeping up with standards and you can always be pretty sure it will be compatible with whatever is released with a simple software update. I just don't think 3D is something to wage your decisions on at this time.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I completely agree. In a year or two, 3D TVs will cost like 1000$, normal HDTVs being dirt cheap at that time. By buying now, you're a guinea pig for new technology, with all it's advantages and disadvantages. The need of glasses is huge disadvantage, it's not comfortable and even the glasses cost over 100$.

Currently there isn't much to watch on 3D yet, some games support it but it's not as nice as it could be. 3D Blu-Ray support is coming later on this year I think, that can be revolutionary if it works out to be good (work with most BRs).

Next gen consoles will likely focus on 3D, just like current gen focused on high definition. Wait couple years and 3D is same as HD is now (hopefully :p)

7. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Since there's no (at least that I know of) successor optical format to Bluray, HDMI is pretty much the maximum AV input/output into TVs for the near foreseeable future, and the PS3's HDD is user upgradeable, I would think that the PS3 wouldn't need to be redeveloped for a long long time, right?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

HDMI is still developing so even though the name remains the same, there are new versions of it coming to bring improvements and more bandwidth which is needed for better quality. E.g. Super Hi-Vision will likely use Blu-Ray and HDMI but not the versions we are currently using.

The biggest reason for PS4 is the need for more power what newer and better looking and bigger games need. 3D is also more intensive than 2D thus PS3 may not be that good for 3D as it wasn't designed for it.

PS3 is just like a computer (and so is X360). Current computers run most things fine but in the future, there are more intensive stuff coming which needs faster hardware. Any computer from past 5 years can write Word documents and email. In 2 years, I'm sure we'll see new consoles designed for 3D, along with cheaper 3D TVs

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Two new model numbers just popped up in the FCC. May not be the best time to buy.

10. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Right before E3 is never a good time to buy hardware. You never know what will be announced, so holding off is always the prudent thing to do.